Dead chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Not drowning it...jeez.

I second shooting it. Especially where you are in the country so you can fire a weapon without worrying about the proximity of neighboring houses.

Quote:
Not drowning it...jeez.

I second shooting it. Especially where you are in the country so you can fire a weapon without worrying about the proximity of neighboring houses.

drowning works well, a 357 will work just use .38 special bullets they are the same size diameter wise just don,t kick as much

Quote:
Not drowning it...jeez.

drowning works well, a 357 will work just use .38 special bullets they are the same size diameter wise just don,t kick as much

Well yeah, I imagine drowning does a good job of killing anything that is being drowned. That said it is incredibly cruel and a decent definition of INHUMANE.

For people who care so much for their own animals I am amazed at the callousness of some people on BYC in regard to wild animals. I don't think it is wrong to dispatch an animal who is killing your livestock but torturing it and making is suffer a miserable death is just wrong.

Quote:

Well yeah, I imagine drowning does a good job of killing anything that is being drowned. That said it is incredibly cruel and a decent definition of INHUMANE.

For people who care so much for their own animals I am amazed at the callousness of some people on BYC in regard to wild animals. I don't think it is wrong to dispatch an animal who is killing your livestock but torturing it and making is suffer a miserable death is just wrong.

Now I'd go for restraining the raccoon and letting the chickens have at it.

Quote:

It amazes me too that people could be so cruel. I know that we get mad when critters kill our livestock, but these predatory animals are not being mean or malicious, they are just trying to find dinner or feed their families. No animal deserves a death by drowning. A simple shot to the head is instant and humane.

Golly!
hmm.png
I am so sorry for stirring up the pot here. Please forgive me, those who I have offended, I am so sorry. I had another coon out at the coop last night but I didn't set the trap. Not sure what to do to get rid of such a big population I have. The hens are safe, for now. The one in the basement is doing okay but I think she has an infection. The cut looks good but the skin around it (about 1" away from the cut) is kinda yellow. I am thinking that is infection under the skin.
sad.png

Quote:
they are normal in groups of 5-8 I set as many traps as possible to catch as many as quickly as possible the cut is probably where they have been fighting for breeding rights this happens freqauntly this time of the year it is a shame you are not trapping them at a creek or river you could just put the trap on a drowner I have one friend who sets havaharts so they fall into a rain barrel when the coon is caught he just removes a dead coon when he gets home from work. yoiu normally have to trap until you get rid of 5-8

http://www.trapshackcompany.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=44

trap drowners are easily made as well

Last edited:
Quote:

x2

thats a pretty harsh way to kill something

Quote:
Sweety, don't be sorry.
hugs.gif
You lost your bird and for that I am so sorry. The most humane way and the way I would encourage you to dispatch a coon is to shoot it. One shot to the head. Or have someone you know do it for you. If you have no other choice than to drown it, then do what you need to do. Just a reminder taken from the rules stickied at the top of the Pest and Predator section:

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom