dead chickens walking **UPDATE (graphic)**

bibliophile birds

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Great Smoky Mtns, Tennessee
so. tomorrow is the big day. 4 of my spare cockerels are heading to Freezer Camp. i've known all along this was part of the plan, but i'm still nervous. i've never killed anything in my life except for a few animals i hit with my car. and i'm a softie.

but i wholeheartedly believe in sustainable, humane farming and clean food. i know that my chickens have had wonderful lives and are completely organic. i'm determined to be the one to do the actual dispatching, as i am the only person who can fully respect the sacrifice they are making for me since i've taken complete care of them from day 1.

i feel as prepared as i can be for the actual killing. i've watched several videos of the process and just keep telling myself that it will be quick and as painless as possible. the evisceration bit worries me, but i think once i'm in there doing it, it won't be as hard as it looks. i've just got to stay calm and keep reminding myself that this is a very natural thing and that i'm strong enough.

luckily, 3 of the 4 have begun bullying the other chickens and even trying to harass me. one in particular is pretty nasty. he will go first. i can honestly say, i won't be sad to see him go (he bit me and drew blood today), but i'm still not thrilled with what's ahead.

i will be chanting "chicken and dumplings" as i go to bed tonight.

Last edited:
I just barely ordered my first chicks. They are all designated for freezer camp. I am wrestling with the same thing you posted here, and so is my husband. I am raising these chickens so I know how they have been raised in all ways. I feel like that should carry straight through to the end, but I'm just not sure I can do it.

Best of Luck, and do make sure you do the meanie first
smile.png

Quote:
Wishing you the best for tomorrow.

You might picture yourself as Diana, the Huntress, or something like that.
Or try to imagine yourself as a pioneer mom with a houseful of kids to feed.

Whatever mental image helps you get the first one done, that's the hardest. I watched one video where the guy slammed the chickens head against the stump before he chopped, so the bird was unconscious, and even though at first, that sounds, brutal, it would be very fast, the bird would just be fine one moment, unconscious the next, and before it had time to wake up, dead and bled. Jaku smacks them in the head with a piece of wood before he cuts the throats. I'm planning to try that, I have 8 roos to do, either tomorrow or Monday. Maybe a turkey, too.

Last edited:
i remember the first time i did it..i was so proud of myself! until my husband threw the biggest fit during the whole thing, and made me feel like a jerk.
roll.png

oh well, it was still tasty though.

You will find that the anticipation and anxiety leading up to your first cull is worse than the actual process. You will do fine. I've had many people here do it for their first time and everyone always says "that wasn't as bad as I expected. It wasn't really bad at all".

i don't think i could bring myself to pop them in the head. that seems worse... for me. the theory is sound, i just don't think i could bring myself to do it. thanks for the encouragement though, dancingbear!

yes, the anticipation is the bad part. i thought that needing to put it off one day might make me feel a bit calmer about it, but it hasn't. i moved those 4 to the pen next to the house Friday afternoon so i could withhold feed and so they'd be handy to where i will be working them, but now i have to look at them and hear them crow and know what's coming.

i'm going to hang all 4 of them up at once so all the killing will be done in quick succession. i figure once i start the first one i can then just focus on the technique and i won't have to think about what i'm actually doing.

i am excited, though. at least excited about being able to say that i could do it. and eating them... that's something to look forward to!

I feel your hesitation. I had my first experience with processing this fall. My advice is to take the time to make sure everything you need is in place before starting- this also gives you more time for procrastinating. As for the killing my husband wielded the axe, but I had to bring the birds to the gallows. When it was each birds time I thanked it for providing for us before sending it on its way. It was strange, as the process continued (especially after they were plucked) they became less like our backyard chickens and more like something you would find in a grocery store. Knowing that we were good stewards of the flock and they had a free and natural beginning was some consolation. Best of Luck tomorrow!

Quote:
Agreed wholeheartedly. It won't be so bad if you take on the "chore" mindset, and it's really not THAT bad.

Let us know how it goes and how they turn out!

I thank the bird for it's life, for teaching me and giving me sustenance. Take a few breaths to relax and prepare... then shift my focus to concentrate purely on the physical process of getting it done, and done quickly.

Back
Top Bottom