Left kidneys and lungs in bird by accident - just made broth... Will I die if I eat it?

I grew up with chickens and processed and ate a whole lot before I found this forum. It was on this forum that I first learned that some people scoop out the lungs and kidneys. It never even occurred to me to want to remove them - why waste food? In my family we ate everything that was edible on all of our food animals, including the brains and all of the organs minus the gall bladder and chicken intestines (mammal intestines make great sausages when stuffed with meat and spices!). When I make soup, I put everything in it - heart, liver, spleen, gizzard, testicles (if male), lungs and kidneys that remain on the carcass, neck, feet, and head, along with the skeletal meat. Best chicken soup!

Somebody on here cleaned chicken intestines for sausage. I don't remember who.
I believe that. There's nothing about chicken intestines themselves that would make them unfit for sausages. I imagine the only reason they aren't commonly used for that is because they are too small (narrow) and turning them inside out to clean would be too difficult and annoying. They are also more tender so they may break more easily. But if you are up for the task, I imagine they'd make a nice sausage just like any other intestine!

Somebody on here cleaned chicken intestines for sausage. I don't remember who.
certainly wasn't me. Too much effort to make use of those tiny little tubes. Feed them back to my birds.

Once upon a time, many decades ago, I used to work for a company, mascot was an old guy, with a military sounding title, definitely not a sailor... I spent hours each day prepping boxes and boxes of chickens (800-1,300# daily) by using my thumb to force out the organ meats along the spine, then tossed them into a tumbler with an original recipe of a certain muber of herbs and spices. I suspect, but certainly can't prove, that the chain of Olive Oil's sometime boyfriend's stores specifically do not remove those same organs, to flavor their oil. Well, that and extra cayenne.

Those organ meats are absolutely key to making a good gravy.

...but can be very distinct (metallic, most often described) and undesired in chicken dishes desiring a clear broth type consistency.

Back
Top Bottom