Dead hen... died with symtoms but it happened quickly

EnesaMac

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2021
Australia
Can someone please help.
I went outside this morning to find one of my hens gasping and stretching her neck out.
I immediately went online and posted a video to help identify some causes to hopefully find a cure.
I placed her in the coop while I was reading through forums and all of I sudden I heard her making a ruckus, so I went out and found her breathing heavily laying on her back.
I quickly grabbed her and asked my husband if he could continue looking online for some kind of treatment ( today is a public holiday and no stores/vet open) i managed to give her some water but not long after she started what seemed to be having a seizure, discharge from the mouth and she passed away.
We are both so upset and also concerned it could be something our other chickens can catch.
We will be making a trip to the poultry store tomorrow to buy some treatment for gapeworm. Does this sound like gapeworm, or could it be something else?
I appreciate all the help and advice.

Can someone please help.
I went outside this morning to find one of my hens gasping and stretching her neck out.
I immediately went online and posted a video to help identify some causes to hopefully find a cure.
I placed her in the coop while I was reading through forums and all of I sudden I heard her making a ruckus, so I went out and found her breathing heavily laying on her back.
I quickly grabbed her and asked my husband if he could continue looking online for some kind of treatment ( today is a public holiday and no stores/vet open) i managed to give her some water but not long after she started what seemed to be having a seizure, discharge from the mouth and she passed away.
We are both so upset and also concerned it could be something our other chickens can catch.
We will be making a trip to the poultry store tomorrow to buy some treatment for gapeworm. Does this sound like gapeworm, or could it be something else?
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Getting a necropsy would give you the best answers. Do you have a vet, agriculture of ministry, vet college or lab that you can send the body to? If you do, then refrigerate the body and contact them.
You could also do your own necropsy if you are up to it. You may be able to see something obvious, but may not as well.

The only way to know what killed your hen is a necropsy. You could cut the hen open yourself and examine the body cavity for anything unusual. Often the cause of death will be staring you right in the face.

A stuck egg. An enlarged liver, tumors, etc. If she had gapeworm, you would see them, and same for intestinal worms.

Can someone please help.
The same thing happened to my hen, she was fine with no signs of being sick and that evening she was staggering and her head fell to one side. I haven't a clue what was wrong with her. Sadly she had to be put down. I could tell she was suffering. Does anyone know what causes this?

Back
Top Bottom