Dead Hen

Dodgersmomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
The other day i woke up and went out to feed my chickens, I was shocked to see the neighbors dog with a mouth full of feathers. I ran to the coop but it was to late. the dog had dug a hole under the side, killed my hen, and tried to pull her out back throught the hole. The problem is that she was my lead hen. Is that going to cause a problem? Also, my other hens stopped laying after the attack. Could that be because of the stress?

<3 In loving Memory of Big Red <3

Sorry about your hen! It is probably stress from the attack that is stopping them from laying. They will start again soon. You need to work on making your coop more predator proof. I would suggest digging a trench around your coop at least a foot deep and putting hardware cloth down and then covering it up again. Alternately, you could cover the bottom of your coop with hardware cloth as well.

We are actually in the process of building a more dog proof coop. We are taking an old shed and transforming it into a coop. It will have a bottom, a dog door (that you can close) and a big door that you can go in to feed and collect eggs.

Good! I am so glad you are already in the process of building a more secure place. Maybe in the meantime you could just lay some chicken wire on the ground around their current coop and it may discourage digging.

Again, I am so sorry about your hen!

Quote:
x2
This is called an "apron" going around your pen. Just shovel some dirt on top of it and grass will grow through it eventually. It makes it impossible for a predator to dig through it. It works best if you have a lot roots from trees in your soil like I do, saves alot of time and work.

I am sorry
hugs.gif

Your girls should find a new pecking order without too much fussing.

Back
Top Bottom