Dead Poult?

chichick

Songster
8 Years
May 1, 2011
I woke up this morning to find all my turkeys pilled up in the cage(like they usually are), when I walked most of then got up, but one of them, that a few were laying on her head, didn't. I poked it and it was stiff. What could have happened? Is it from them laying on her head and sufficating her, or could it be that I need to clean my cage or something?

Piling is a big cause of death. It can happen is just a second if poults or chicks get scared or cold. Keeping them in a round brooder and teach them to perch at a young age helps. Keep them warm and work slow around them when you clean. If they are at the right temp, they will be spread out and not pile.

Sorry to hear that! I know chicks will pile up like that, and I always get worried with the young ones piling in the summer heat.....I've known several people that have lost chicks due to suffocation like that....I guess poults do it too...

Now another one is looking sickly. She's very alert when I walk up, but when I stand there she just closes her eyes and kinda balls up. What could it be? Is she just tired?

Back
Top Bottom