Dead Wyandotte after Bloody Egg

BidDaddy

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
Honey Brook, PA
I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte as part of a six hen flock. He chicken has always seemed a bit slower than the rest. In any event, the flock produced a bloody egg yesterday. (The outside not the yolk) . Today, when we went out to collect the eggs, the Wyandotte was dead in the floor of the coop. Any idea what could have happened? I assume the bloody egg and the dead chicken are related. The only other thing that seemed off was the comb on the Wyandotte. It had a few black marks on it. Chicken was about 10 months old. Any ideas?

So sorry you lost your chicken. When you found that the bird had passed away, what posture was she in? What do you feed them? Do they free-range? Is there a rooster?

I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte as part of a six hen flock. He chicken has always seemed a bit slower than the rest. In any event, the flock produced a bloody egg yesterday. (The outside not the yolk) . Today, when we went out to collect the eggs, the Wyandotte was dead in the floor of the coop. Any idea what could have happened? I assume the bloody egg and the dead chicken are related. The only other thing that seemed off was the comb on the Wyandotte. It had a few black marks on it. Chicken was about 10 months old. Any ideas?
I'm sorry for your loss.

It's very hard to determine the cause of death without having testing/necropsy performed. Do you still have the body, if you do, refrigerate it and send it to your state lab to get more information. Alternatively, you can perform your own informal necropsy to see if you can figure it out. Look in the abdomen, internal organs and reproductive system. http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom