Death within 5 hrs.. what can it be? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GwenReaper, Nov 27, 2009.

1. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I had a 2 chicks. They were about 2-3 months old. I noticed that one of them was getting goopy eyes and getting kinda snotty. I brought them imediatly inside. They were together and I started antibiotics in there water. But the one that initially started the symptoms did not get better and died. The other chick had no symptoms and I kept her inside anyway for observation. Well she has been following me around the house and climbing up my leg when I sit down. No signs of illness. I had to run some errands, i put her back in her cage and left. When I got back home she was very lethargic. I gave her some vitamins but she passed an hour later. It was very sudden. This morning she was eating drinking and being very active.. then when I got home she was dying. I dont understand. Is there any disease or illness that they can get that can act that fast??

2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I have no idea, but i hope someone does. BUMP

3. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Has anyone had this happen?? Does anyone have a clue? I am scared if its a transferable illness that my other chickens could get it. Any help would be most apprieciated!

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to get into high gear regarding hygiene- wash all your work clothes, be extra vigilant about caps, boots and gloves. Not sure what it is, but appears contagious. Everything these birds touched needs a cleanup too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by