Death within 5 hrs.. what can it be? Help!

GwenReaper

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Memphis, TN
I had a 2 chicks. They were about 2-3 months old. I noticed that one of them was getting goopy eyes and getting kinda snotty. I brought them imediatly inside. They were together and I started antibiotics in there water. But the one that initially started the symptoms did not get better and died. The other chick had no symptoms and I kept her inside anyway for observation. Well she has been following me around the house and climbing up my leg when I sit down. No signs of illness. I had to run some errands, i put her back in her cage and left. When I got back home she was very lethargic. I gave her some vitamins but she passed an hour later. It was very sudden. This morning she was eating drinking and being very active.. then when I got home she was dying. I dont understand. Is there any disease or illness that they can get that can act that fast??

Has anyone had this happen?? Does anyone have a clue? I am scared if its a transferable illness that my other chickens could get it. Any help would be most apprieciated!

You need to get into high gear regarding hygiene- wash all your work clothes, be extra vigilant about caps, boots and gloves. Not sure what it is, but appears contagious. Everything these birds touched needs a cleanup too.

Back
Top Bottom