Dioleymel

Hatching
Mar 6, 2018
I woke up this morning and found one of my roosters decapitated he was not eaten, his head was there his body was there, there was very little feather loss what could have done this

Probably raccoon depending on where you live. Many predators decapitate and then return later for the rest of the body, it is a quick and efficient way of killing the prey. So sorry this happened to your rooster, it is always such a awful thing to discover. Best thing is to really, really predator proof your coop/enclosure and make sure your birds are roosting inside for the night. Now that this predator has found your chickens, it will be back for more. Unfortunately, chicken is the ubiquitous 'happy meal'.... everybody loves chicken. :hugsPlease add your location to your profile as it helps everyone here to help you if you have more questions or issues in the future. Welcome to this site, sorry that it had to be under such sad circumstances. :welcome

Very sorry for the loss of your roo, and Eggie and kat covered the predator base as to whom did it.

Instead:

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

This rooster didn't actually sleep in the coop and I'm I have two roosters and one rooster wouldn't let this one in the coop so he roosted on my back porch but he was not even on the back porch he was on the side of the house and his head was laying there and so was his body

I would say coon. But owls will attack at night and leave the head and body.

Then come back and feed later.

This rooster didn't actually sleep in the coop and I'm I have two roosters and one rooster wouldn't let this one in the coop so he roosted on my back porch but he was not even on the back porch he was on the side of the house and his head was laying there and so was his body
Maybe an owl then... but be sure if it was a coon he will be back to check if your coop is locked. When they don't get locked up they are privy to all kinds of things, so in many locations it will just be a matter of time. Here, flock dynamics dictate who stays or goes.. the boy not allowing entrance would have been the one going, during my watch.. I command everybody get along or else. But each new situation is a learning experience for me. And thanks to you sharing I can consider what I will do if I face this situation in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom