December 2022 hatch-a-long

I swear I was going to turn my incubators off until March, but here I am with 8 of my own breeding blue/splash Silkie eggs, and 16 shipped cuckoo Silkie eggs (and was that shipping process a saga - USPS "lost" them for two days), due to hatch 12.10 and 12.12 respectively. Aaaaaaand I'll probably collect this week's blue/splash eggs and throw them in on this upcoming Saturday too....
oh can't wait to see those babies!!!!!

day 3.5 here and saw a baby for sure in 1 egg and maybe in a couple others. Some eggs are harder to really tell. Hoping there is more than 1 going. I did add a few of my eggs in, not sure if they are fertilized or not since my roo is very fluffy and I haven't trimmed him or the girls lately, but I also had a younger roo in there for a bit that was starting to mate a couple of the girls. Those eggs are only on day 1.5 but hoping to see something in those in a couple days.

Finally just set some eggs again! :yesss:

I've been waiting ages on these Leghorn eggs.
Clifford wasn't covering them properly... despite lots of trying! In his defense, the girls are 1/3 his size so it was a little ludicrous watching him try to balance and get hold of their neck feathers.

Cue faceplants in the dirt, sitting on the girls like a sofa, and the time the hen jumped away but he kept looking around under himself like "Where did she go? She was here somewhere!".

Finally, some cracked eggs look fertile, so just to be sure I stuffed the incubator 😲 29 Leghorn X English Orpington eggs in an incubator that fits 22. Hopefully I can tell who's developing quickly.

My goal is to lay the foundation for a Jumbo Egg pen that I can use later in my main project. I figure the size of the Orps + larger Leggie eggs should yield some hens that lay big'uns. I shall call them LegOs!

Last edited:
I am waiting for my rooster to do his deed. He is 5 months old in Dec. and I may set his brood eggs by New years hatch. Not that I am crazy about his breed he is just a white rock. But I do have a few hens that are laying now, and they don't always. I have to strike while the iron is hot.

The hens are
Frizzle/NN
Frizzle
NN
Blue feathered EE

And anything else I think might look cool.

Two quitters and one I’m not sure about… I thought we had a dud as well, but it might just be super slow? Need to check my dates on when I added that last one 😅
sounds like they are doing great still!!!!! What day are on you on? I know around day 7-10 I question a lot of mine on if they are quitters. sometimes I struggle to see veins or they just look like a blob that quit etc. I leave them just in case and check later and MOST times it turns out they were fine. Just seems that stage I struggle with them all. LOL

3 more pips
mozaic egg pip by the wart...
55tf.PNG
Below golden deathlayer.

55 tc.PNG

I have a pip on an Isbar egg, I don't see it in my pics.

This is a mozaic. You have to look to see the pip, it is a white line, lower middle.
55tb.PNG

3 out and 4 pips so far. day 20
Below is my isbar I love blue chicks.
55td.PNG

55ta.PNG

Back
Top Bottom