December 2022 hatch-a-long

Pics
This year I had 1 hold out on laying. My CCL was showing signs of being ready then just stopped showing signs comb lightened up and no eggs still. Last year I had I think 3 that didn't start until Feb/March... A light Brahma and 2 Cochins. The slackers. Lol
My Cochins usually take 8 months to start laying. This year’s bunch surprised me at 7 months.

My Cochins usually take 8 months to start laying. This year’s bunch surprised me at 7 months.
I had 1 last year that started early @ 5-6 mo. The other 2 held out till 10 and 11 mo!. This year I hatched a splash Cochin and 2 project Cochins(from a breeder that mixed EE and Cochin over 3 years, they look just like Cochins but lay green eggs) in July. I am wondering if they will lay before Feb or wait for the longer days. I know someone near me that his June hatches have just started laying now.

First one out (one of the 4 pipped) Birchen maran.
55k.PNG

Not sure what your weather is there but what temps have you brooded outside with the MHP? I did it with my April chicks but we had stuff going on so they were inside until the end of April I think. I am trying to decide when to hatch next year. Hoping to hatch that any I keep start laying before the shorter days kick in..
We have a slight advantage of using a hoop coop covered in greenhouse plastic, but I know a bunch of people in Utah using the method in unheated sheds. It was February and we tend to get pretty bitter temps then, but I feel like it was a fairly mild year? This one has been bitter straight off since October with random hot spells lol. One of my kids is going to a birthday party this weekend and last year it was outside with bounce houses 😱 It will be lows almost down to 0° this week

Did your April chicks not start laying before the shorter days this year?
My Easter HAL chicks aren’t laying yet… My February/March chicks alternately started laying around 6 months and are currently molting with 0 eggs or just started laying (bantams). I’m never doing spring chicks again! July at the very earliest I think, but I prefer late September-October chicks. They started laying in winter and everyone was laying by spring, they’re still laying a bit this year even during molt

We have a slight advantage of using a hoop coop covered in greenhouse plastic, but I know a bunch of people in Utah using the method in unheated sheds. It was February and we tend to get pretty bitter temps then, but I feel like it was a fairly mild year? This one has been bitter straight off since October with random hot spells lol. One of my kids is going to a birthday party this weekend and last year it was outside with bounce houses 😱 It will be lows almost down to 0° this week
Ok thanks. I was thinking of March to hatch. It starts to warm up here but we still have cold nights and days. But guessing mostly 40's for an ave temp. Nights a bit lower? Honestly I can't even fully remember. But think my "late" layers may have laid before shorter days if they had another mo to mature. Plus I would only keep 2 so may be easier to re-home any extras in April or May and not Aug-Oct. Lol

My Easter HAL chicks aren’t laying yet… My February/March chicks alternately started laying around 6 months and are currently molting with 0 eggs or just started laying (bantams). I’m never doing spring chicks again! July at the very earliest I think, but I prefer late September-October chicks. They started laying in winter and everyone was laying by spring, they’re still laying a bit this year even during molt
Hmmm I was hoping March they would all start before winter. Lol. I am hoping my July babies start in the winter and not wait like last year's April late starters or the one late starters this year that I think will wait. I have 4 laying now, 2 from last April ( I never saw them molt this year??) And 2 from this April. Everyone else has stopped.

Back
Top Bottom