DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!😊

Broody baby #1 is here! Hoping the other broody has babies soon.
Also have a little white fluffy in the incubator but its hard to get a photo in there.
20201224_104421.jpg 20201224_104118.jpg

What breed would she be?
Best guess is red sex link mother and leghorn father! She came out of a medium brown grocery store egg but lays a light tan/ peach colored egg. She also has the white earlobes like a leg horn.
I tried contacting the egg producer but never heard back from them. Guess they didn’t think it was as cool as I did!😂
She's beautiful. What eggs did you use? Does she lay white or brown eggs? She looks like a White Rock or heavy Leghorn. I'm going to try hatching from some Trader Joe's eggs next year.
Didn’t see your post when I answered @Tonyroo.
I purchased the fertilized medium brown eggs. I believe they are from an egg producer out of Petaluma, CA but came from a second distributor. She lays a light tan, photo attached, next to a grocery store brown.
The website where the eggs came from showed red sex link chickens I believe it’s Rhode Island red over white rock. Though with the white earlobes we guessed that her father should be a leg horn also with the lighter color eggs than I expected. Thought she was going to lay a medium brown like she came from.
Her eggs are very large and she is the best layer I have including all my fancy breeds!😊

Attachments

• 805F773A-F4C0-4C68-8312-B3B1F2C3ED19.jpeg
    805F773A-F4C0-4C68-8312-B3B1F2C3ED19.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 2
Best guess is red sex link mother and leghorn father! She came out of a medium brown grocery store egg but lays a light tan/ peach colored egg. She also has the white earlobes like a leg horn.
I tried contacting the egg producer but never heard back from them. Guess they didn’t think it was as cool as I did!😂

Didn’t see your post when I answered @Tonyroo.
I purchased the fertilized medium brown eggs. I believe they are from an egg producer out of Petaluma, CA but came from a second distributor. She lays a light tan, photo attached, next to a grocery store brown.
The website where the eggs came from showed red sex link chickens I believe it’s Rhode Island red over white rock. Though with the white earlobes we guessed that her father should be a leg horn also with the lighter color eggs than I expected. Thought she was going to lay a medium brown like she came from.
Her eggs are very large and she is the best layer I have including all my fancy breeds!😊
Well she sounds positively delightful. :loveI'm hoping I can find some fertile leghorn eggs at TJ's. It's been a bit since I've read those hatching threads but I think those are some of their fertile eggs. I love my fancy breeds but would really like to add some production type hens next year for reliability and earlier laying.

Well she sounds positively delightful. :loveI'm hoping I can find some fertile leghorn eggs at TJ's. It's been a bit since I've read those hatching threads but I think those are some of their fertile eggs. I love my fancy breeds but would really like to add some production type hens next year for reliability and earlier laying.
Yes I believe Trader Joe’s carries a leghorn type of production chicken fertilized eggs. Many here on the threads have hatched them successfully! Good luck!😊

Yes I believe Trader Joe’s carries a leghorn type of production chicken fertilized eggs. Many here on the threads have hatched them successfully! Good luck!😊
My question about Trader Joe's eggs would be "how old are the eggs they are selling", is there a way to know when there egg shipment comes in every week, every other week, once a month? Just curious, who would not want production chickens just for steady egg amounts.

My question about Trader Joe's eggs would be "how old are the eggs they are selling", is there a way to know when there egg shipment comes in every week, every other week, once a month? Just curious, who would not want production chickens just for steady egg amounts.
Yes. It's called a Julian date. It's a 3 digit number listed before the best by date on all eggs. That's their packing date/date layed.

Hmm, good to know.
Yes January 1 is 001 December 31 is 365 and so on. Of course doesn’t count for leap year but we just had that so it shouldn’t be an issue. The eggs I hatched were probably over three weeks old though it’s always best to get the freshest possible.😊

Back
Top Bottom