DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!šŸ˜Š

Here's a picture of some random egg cartons I have stockpiled. I underlined the Julian date (date layed/packed on).

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_191258918~2.jpg
    IMG_20201223_191258918~2.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 3
Not sure how long anyone on this thread wants to see the chicks, as they grow. Here's what my Dec 1 babies look like now (3.5 weeks old)ā€¦

Left to right: One of 2 Spitz-Legbar pullets; Scarlet, our biggest, reddest (and sassiest) Spitz-Olive Egger; one of 3 Olive Egger-Legbar back cross pullets; and [hopefully] our only Legbar-Dominique cockerel
Dec1_chicks_3weeks.jpg

Left to right: Little brownie, our smallest, darkest brown/least red Spitz-Legbar; one of 3 Legbar-Dominique pullets; and [hopefully] our only Olive Egger-Legbar back cross cockerel
Dec1_chicks_3weeks_2.jpg

Anyone interested in watching any of them as they grow, can find them here:

Spitz crosses (Spitz x Legbar and Spitz x Olive Egger)
is-there-such-a-thing-as-brown-sex-link-using-barring-gene

Olive Egger-Cream Legbar back crosses
can-you-accurately-sex-day-old-olive-egger-chicks-legbar-welsummer

Legbar-Dominique crosses
need-someone-who-can-read-barred-head-spots-like-tea-leaves-cream-legbar-x-dominque-chicks

An update on my last 4 to hatch- three out of 4 are out and causing havoc in the incubator. Two cuckoo and one paint. The paint was a very slowly assisted hatch, more for practice than anything. I decided to start assisting egg #4 this morning as I suspected it was malpositioned, and I was correct. It's a naked-neck of cuckoo persuasion, just have to see if it survives

Not sure how long anyone on this thread wants to see the chicks, as they grow. Here's what my Dec 1 babies look like now (3.5 weeks old)ā€¦

Left to right: One of 2 Spitz-Legbar pullets; Scarlet, our biggest, reddest (and sassiest) Spitz-Olive Egger; one of 3 Olive Egger-Legbar back cross pullets; and [hopefully] our only Legbar-Dominique cockerel
View attachment 2461984

Left to right: Little brownie, our smallest, darkest brown/least red Spitz-Legbar; one of 3 Legbar-Dominique pullets; and [hopefully] our only Olive Egger-Legbar back cross cockerel
View attachment 2461985

Anyone interested in watching any of them as they grow, can find them here:

Spitz crosses (Spitz x Legbar and Spitz x Olive Egger)
is-there-such-a-thing-as-brown-sex-link-using-barring-gene

Olive Egger-Cream Legbar back crosses
can-you-accurately-sex-day-old-olive-egger-chicks-legbar-welsummer

Legbar-Dominique crosses
need-someone-who-can-read-barred-head-spots-like-tea-leaves-cream-legbar-x-dominque-chicks
Love them! Scarlet is my favorite. Is she the one that had the cool down color at hatch? I think several of yours had cool down color though! šŸ˜Š

An update on my last 4 to hatch- three out of 4 are out and causing havoc in the incubator. Two cuckoo and one paint. The paint was a very slowly assisted hatch, more for practice than anything. I decided to start assisting egg #4 this morning as I suspected it was malpositioned, and I was correct. It's a naked-neck of cuckoo persuasion, just have to see if it survives
Fingers crossed for number 4.šŸ™‚

Eggs due to hatch tomorrow, I moved them to my little Brinsea so I can see! One of the mystery bantams internally pipped! I ended up with 3 mystery bantams and 2 Seramas going into lockdown. I fear two of the three bantams may have quit very late into the game, but I hope I'm wrong.

With a quick candling I saw definite movement in the two Serama eggs so I've got my fingers crossed. 5 of the Olandsk Dwarfs should be going into lockdown in the next couple days.

Eggs due to hatch tomorrow, I moved them to my little Brinsea so I can see! One of the mystery bantams internally pipped! I ended up with 3 mystery bantams and 2 Seramas going into lockdown. I fear two of the three bantams may have quit very late into the game, but I hope I'm wrong.

With a quick candling I saw definite movement in the two Serama eggs so I've got my fingers crossed. 5 of the Olandsk Dwarfs should be going into lockdown in the next couple days.
Good luck with your hatch!šŸ˜Š

So the Christmas chicks all hatched on day 20 (Christmas Eve) as all the others did this month!
8/9 hatched. Last one appears to have internally pipped into a blood vessel and died in the shell.
Oh well, it was a good hatch anyway and otherwise every egg that was placed that was fertile, hatched, except for one early quitter (day 10) in the eggs from earlier this month, and now this little DIS.
20/22, 90.9% hatch rate ain't bad.
The malpositioned, pipping on the wrong end chick did really well (Photos attached). It did require quite a bit of help, but was able to make the last push out the shell on its own. Spent most of Christmas Eve hanging by the incubator! šŸ˜Š
Christmas is low key this year and all the preparations were done already, so all is well.
I will post photos of all the other little fluffers later!
Merry Christmas!šŸ„°
1C49D379-17A6-46D6-A21E-953A74239C57.jpeg
7DB3BCB3-7293-4638-A126-7DFFE38E3529.jpeg
42909052-D790-4332-8B19-D57ADB291E90.jpeg
C20AB5BA-F60B-499A-AE4A-FC3B7588B169.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom