December Hatch-A-Long!

This incubation has been eventful, had a heatwave where the outside temp hit 40c which played on my incubators temp (no air con), the auto turner broke for the first 14 days then worked for 3 and then stopped on the last day and we had a blackout last night just before going into lockdown, only short thankfully.

I was also looking to follow the dry incubation method, my humidity was in the 20s however which I decided was just too low (especially one I learned my one survivor to lockdown from my first attempt got shrink wrapped from low humidity) so I have been adding water to keep it in the 40s which seems to have developed the air sacs to the correct size from comparing pics, I don't have a scale and it is tough to tell with a couple of saddle shaped air sacs so fingers crossed here.

Despite all that 9 eggs have made it safely to lockdown out of 18 set, the eggs were posted and only 10 started developing/were fertile (I didn't check/open the clears but I assume non fertile or too damaged from the post) - one quit very early and was a blood ring by first candling at day seven. That gives a fertility/viable embryo after posting of around 56% and survival to lockdown of 90% of the viable eggs! Hoepfully I can post pics shortly of the little peeps, just a little excited!
ya.gif

Humidity is cranked with all water areas filled, one hygrometer reads 80-85% the other 60-65% so I'm hoping it is going to be ok.

One question, 21 days is considered the standard incubation time for chicken eggs. Is this measured from when they pip or are fully hatched? Just curious so I can work out if I had the temp to hot, too cool or just right!

Hodor, it sounds like you've had quite the time indeed!
th.gif

Would definitely love to see your pics!
celebrate.gif
Your hygrometers kinda sound like mine...as in take your pick and guess what the humidity levels are.
hu.gif
Can't wait to hear your results.
jumpy.gif

As for your question, I don't have the experience to answer that confidently. I'm sure someone who does will chime in.
smile.png

Last edited:
Power outage! Had to have the generator hooked up - moved the newly hatched baby chicks and my farm innovator model 4200 with my eggs - had to hook it up to an extension cord in my kitchen! I might still have a battery backup for my computer in storage. I need to pull that out and hook up my R-com to it. Never even thought of needing or using a battery backup for my incubator until now.

Experience with the farm innovator model 4200. I was right there when it spiked and pulled the lid off. The gauges no longer display correctly after my first hatch. All of a sudden it was off by 13 degrees? Wonder if the high humidity affected them in lockdown. So I bought a thermometer and humidity gauge on clearance 3 inches by 3 inches digital display and works great. I need to look up the warranty or maybe they can tell me how to fix it.

I'll still keep the farm innovator in case someone gives me extra eggs or I'll use it to participate in the New Years hatch-along, too. Will be plugging the r-com in and checking calibration later today. I'll be testing my thermometers again, too.

Check out the learning center. I LOVE IT! What I understand is the first day you put the egg in the incubator is day one and hatch day is day 21. I've learned this depends on temperature/humidity control during incubating or how the heat is distributed in the incubator. You can have cooler and warmer spots, I keep my farm innovator at 99.5 f and 40-45% humidity 1-18 and then day 19-21 increase humidity 60-65% and stop turning eggs (remove auto turner) for lockdown. They should be internally piping @day 19 - I use my flashlight apps for candling on my cellphone. When you can see their little beaks move in the air cell area. They are getting ready to start unzipping! Sometimes you can hear them chirp inside the egg.

I've read where they can hatch days later if temps got low anytime during incubating-like power outages or calibration goes out on gauge or thermometer is off a degree. I had a power outage today, so the eggs in my incubator may not hatch out on day 21. I just have to make sure they didn't get too cold for too long. If the temperature is slightly higher than your chicks may hatch sooner. I've learned a lot these past couple of months from the learning center and others, I use the search engine all the time and read up on other people's experiences and photos. I just had some healthy chicks hatch days early on thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Wife has got me into these **** chickens so have a new incubator coming and 24 Serama eggs and 18 painted silkies eggs...guess i will be looking for help lol....Incubator is a farm innovations pro 4250 any suggestions are welcome....

Wife has got me into these **** chickens so have a new incubator coming and 24 Serama eggs and 18 painted silkies eggs...guess i will be looking for help lol....Incubator is a farm innovations pro 4250 any suggestions are welcome....

Lots of thermometers, Don't trust the one on the incubator. I lost my entire first batch of eggs because I only had one thermometer and it was out by 4 degrees. Get two or three others, calibrate them and then run the incubator for 24hrs to calibrate it to the temp you want. Best advice I can give.

You have to check it and babysit it everytime you lift the lid. Mine would spike trying to get up to temp. I'd have to Crack the lid to let some of the heat out, I put my best thermometer to the side of the turner on the wire floor. So I know the temp of the coolest part of the incubator.

I have 6-7 due the 18 i say 6-7 as one of them i cant for the life of me tell which end is the right end. For some reason all my eggs inside have spots on the shell making them impossible to candle

Pointy side down if you are using an auto turn where the egg sits upright. Use a flashlight app on your cellphone in the dark, you should see light at the top of the egg - this is what they refer to as an aircell. If you still do not see an air cell and have high humidity, lower it 40-45% now, raise it back up on day 18 for lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom