December Hatch-A-Long!

Got the R-Com up & running, checked temp&humidity. Doesn't rotate every hour on the hour more like @53 minutes. Came with universal tray, my eggs aren't shaped uniformly. Says it fits 20-24 eggs. I could only fit 18. I should have got the 50. Leaving my December hatch in the the other incubator for now. Looks like I'll be upgrading in the future. Or adding another Max20.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate if you have to send it back. But if it doesn't do the amount of eggs you expected, then that doesn't work either.

I candled my Christmas eggs tonight. I took out the eggs that were not developing, the eggs I previously suspected. Tonight is day 7, almost day 8, and I've written off the double yolker from this hatch. It never really got going, but things are going downhill.

I also see an EE egg that may be dying. It appears there may be some atrophy of the blood vessels. I hope I'm wrong.
sad.png

Some of the LaBresse and Bielelder eggs are very large(even the smaller eggs are almost as wide). Went out to the barn, trying to visualize how we can set them up for the winter.

Last edited:
Oh wow! Are the hens big hens or do they just lay large eggs? I can't remember...are the LaBresse from you or purchased. I see someone who has LaBresse in my part of the world. If you have them...how do you like them?

Hi All!

I've never had this happen before. #10 hatched this morning at 06:00, and now it's 20:53, and not one of the remaining 10 have pipped. Usually, I get a steady stream once they start to hatch, sort of like popcorn - but not this time.
tongue.gif

So, I will wait and give the remaining 10 a few days to cook a little more. They were all definitely ready on Thursday to go into lock down.

Patience, bah, who needs it!
fl.gif

This was the shell color that many came from. I would say about a 7 on the Marans scale, not bad for the end of the laying season!

My eggs go on lock down today but i dont think anys gonna hatch as the egg pores are terrible. I really dont even want to waste my time if only one hatches. I cant get the humidity past 20% any more water is just poring out the holes.

A batch of 29 Serama eggs (from FoxfirePapillons) were started in the new 'bator yesterday and now we await the Painted Silkie eggs today (hatch-a-long special from Twin Maple Ranch on eBay). :) Add to that the 40+ chicks we have growing out from two auction wins (Greenfire and Brinkhaven Farms assorted rares) and 25 mixed bantams expected from Ideal tomorrow...the house is a cheeping frenzy. lol
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
SIGH...

So my tonight one of the 8 remaining FCBM's hatched and it's white! (wait, what?!)

They have been in there since NOV 22nd, should I open them? If so, any tips?

Edited:
I couldn't wait, because I am impatient, and as it turns out, the remaining 7 were shrink wrapped and petrified. I've had that happen once, but not 7 of 24.

Thanks,

K~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom