December hatch along

A wild evening for sure...

Got our first external pip at about 10pm, then I noticed humidity dipping. Watched it get to 64 from 70 and getting nervous I barely opened the incubator and dumped water along the inside wall so it was open as little as possible. Watched it stay at 64 and went to give my son a bath.

Come back and it's 61. Full blown freakout now. Wet a new hand towel and tossed it in. 57%. Poured more water, covered all the holes I could and blew hot air from my mouth straight into the incubator. Shot up to 63% and now it's stable.

Someone remind me to buy a Brinsea with taxes!!

This morning there were 14 of 22 with #15 pipped. Temp had dipped overnight again, hopefully a full scrubbing of the fan unit fixes it! Moved the 14 into the brooder with the baby Turkeys, one male Turkey showed himself through his behavior as the "welcome wagon", in posture and size. He was nice to them, took over the center of the mob and stood there all like "These are mine now."

Moved #15 to the next incubator over, hopefully once it's warmed back up it will finish on it's own. Went through the other eggs, 6 didn't pip and they weren't going to from the looks of it. One had quit early on, mostly yolk in there but the dark shell color obstructed that at day 14 candling.

That's it, I'm done for now!

Husband is wanting me to do a test hatch here in 3 weeks after the feed switch we did for the breeder birds. They're now on a blend, transitioning over to chick starter with oyster shell on the side. Was going to wait until February... but with husband permission... why wait? LOL

Coming out of December with 36 chicks and 5 poults, much improved hatch rate with the new cabinet incubator!

Happy New Years everyone I have taken the last few days to read this thread. I want to try to incubate a few eggs to. I have a Brinsea Mini II . It holds a total of 7 large eggs total. Since I don't have a rooster and we are not allowed them I will have to buy eggs or have some given to me. So now I am on the look out for some eggs. Hopefully I can join in the hatch soon and I love reading about everyone else having good luck.

We had the first egg to internally and externally pip hatch last night at 7. No progress from the egg that had pipped yesterday at 9am this morning so I decided to assist when I noticed the exposed membrane was dried out. Broke off the top piece and saw it was breathing and moving, hit a vein and applied pressure until it stopped. Added water to the resivours and dripped some onto the exposed membrane.

The assisted chick is now pushing her way out of the shell and the first girl to hatch is VERY thankful she has a buddy :)

Back
Top Bottom