Decided on a classroom pet!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bec, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Today was a very sad day at kindergarten. The class pet, Snowflake the bunny, passed away at the vet's office today [​IMG]

The teacher would prefer to not get another rabbit, but is looking for ideas for a new class pet! She went a whole year without a pet and didn't like it at all. She takes the pets home with her on breaks and summer.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Guinea Pig?

3. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    I heard (read) someone saying that Hedge Hogs are good class pets.

Do let us know what you and the teacher end up deciding [​IMG]

4. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I was going to say guinea pig as well. they're bigger than a hamster so kids can (carefully) handle it. other than that.... a fish a few fish? We had a guinea pig both in school and at home growing up.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Gerbils are fun and easy.

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Guniea pigs are very fragile and are easy killed if they're dropped. Plus, when they start squealing they're quite noisy. Nothing like a squealing pig to make a classroom full of kids start laughing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  7. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Why not a chicken? [​IMG] Rodents have a urine that is ungodly [​IMG]
    Plus with a chicken there is time enough in the year to watch it grow and change which would be a great thing for the kids to see happen. They could have a little time each day to talk about how the feathers grow and change colors.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My daughter has class pets in 2 of her classes - in one class they have 2 guinea pigs, and in the other they have a hedgehog.

DD is bringing home the hedgehog today and we get to keep him for the long 4-day weekend (Thurs and Fri are Fair Days...no school). I'll let you know how that goes, but it seems like they are easy pets for the class. They're solitary animals, so are perfectly happy all by themselves.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    And, as it gets older, you can put a diaper on it and let it walk around the classroom! [​IMG]

10. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Robin'sBrood :

Gerbils are fun and easy.

I definitely agree with this! I've had several rodents as pets, and Gerbils are, by far, the easiest and cleanest. Naturally they are found in the desert so they don't drink or pee much, so they're not stinky like other rodents. [​IMG]

Rats are smart and friendly and easy to handle, but they STINK unless you clean their cage every few days...a week is too long.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by