Decided on a classroom pet!

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
Today was a very sad day at kindergarten. The class pet, Snowflake the bunny, passed away at the vet's office today
sad.png

The teacher would prefer to not get another rabbit, but is looking for ideas for a new class pet! She went a whole year without a pet and didn't like it at all. She takes the pets home with her on breaks and summer.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I was going to say guinea pig as well. they're bigger than a hamster so kids can (carefully) handle it. other than that.... a fish a few fish? We had a guinea pig both in school and at home growing up.

Quote:
Guniea pigs are very fragile and are easy killed if they're dropped. Plus, when they start squealing they're quite noisy. Nothing like a squealing pig to make a classroom full of kids start laughing.
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not a chicken?
hu.gif
Rodents have a urine that is ungodly
sickbyc.gif

Plus with a chicken there is time enough in the year to watch it grow and change which would be a great thing for the kids to see happen. They could have a little time each day to talk about how the feathers grow and change colors.

Last edited:
My daughter has class pets in 2 of her classes - in one class they have 2 guinea pigs, and in the other they have a hedgehog.

DD is bringing home the hedgehog today and we get to keep him for the long 4-day weekend (Thurs and Fri are Fair Days...no school). I'll let you know how that goes, but it seems like they are easy pets for the class. They're solitary animals, so are perfectly happy all by themselves.

Robin'sBrood :

Gerbils are fun and easy.

I definitely agree with this! I've had several rodents as pets, and Gerbils are, by far, the easiest and cleanest. Naturally they are found in the desert so they don't drink or pee much, so they're not stinky like other rodents.
big_smile.png

Rats are smart and friendly and easy to handle, but they STINK unless you clean their cage every few days...a week is too long.​

Back
Top Bottom