Decided on a classroom pet!

My vote would be for a hedgehog too. They are unique and not something the kids would be likely to have at home. The problem with hedgehogs and hamsters and a lot of the smaller cage animals is that they are nocternal.
My second choice would be a snake. Maybe a ball python. Many people have an unrealistic fear of snakes and again, something the kids might not see everyday otherwise. Or, maybe a lizard.

I was going to say Guinea Pig but then someone made the comment about the urine smell and I totally agree. I love my daughter's piggies, they are very personable. But the smell?
sickbyc.gif
That is the only complaint I have about them.

I have had rats and I think they are great pets. They are super friendly and like to be held. My rats never had an smell issue, they were litter trained. They caught on easily and I would just use a really small ammount of clay cat litter and dump it everyday.

We had a baby goat that was a classroom pet at my kids' elementary school. He was bottle fed and stayed the day in "daycare" at the class science lab. Every morning, I would drop my daughters and the "kid" at school and pick them up in the afternoon! He was a total hit.
big_smile.png

That being said, gerbils or a hamster would be a good choice. YOu can get one of those big plastic balls for them to run around class in...

A chicken would not be a bad idea really!

My daughter brought her pet chicken to kindergarten for show and tell once and they loved her! When I came to pick her up they had her loose in the classroom and she was just sitting calmly on one of the desks. The teacher said they really enjoyed having her.

Though for a permanent classroom pet, I am sure some city kid's parent would complain.
hmm.png

Quote:
well too bad for them. I vote for a chicken...a nice bantam would be great. Guinea Pigs can be troublesome in that they are not hypo-allergenic. Some kids could really have allergy problems to them....My DD had pet rats...she litter trained them easily so it was no biggie at all and never any smell.

I vote rats! Super social and intelligent! Loved my lot, especially the boys who were calm and friendly. Though they really should be kept in at least a pair as they are very social!

Quote:
well too bad for them. I vote for a chicken...a nice bantam would be great. Guinea Pigs can be troublesome in that they are not hypo-allergenic. Some kids could really have allergy problems to them....My DD had pet rats...she litter trained them easily so it was no biggie at all and never any smell.

Problem is, chickens don't thrive alone. Get a couple of Cochins! If not Cochins or Brahmas I vote for the rat! Seriously, pet rats are not like the barn rats... Pet rats are friendly, relatively clean, like to be held and are not easy to kill (a chicken's life span is a lot longer though).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom