Decomposed Granite Is it safe

Safe as in non-toxic, provided no other ingredients.....
...but not the best substrate for a run.
Hard to 'clean' and with no composting action will become a stinky mess in short time.

Tell us more about your coop and run plans for chickens.
Lots to learn here... and many to help you along the way.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @BeautifulB
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-24_18-55-23.png

Granite would make a great foundation for your run.It doesn't compress much and water runs off it. Make sure to build your run/coop on high ground that water drains away from. Have them dump the truck load of granite in the high spot where you want the chickens. Rake it out beyong the perimeter of the run, leaving it crowned (slightly mounded so water drains away.
After that you can go get grass straw, pine straw, bark, leaves or other material to put on top of the granite.

Last edited:
Safe as in non-toxic, provided no other ingredients.....
...but not the best substrate for a run.
Hard to 'clean' and with no composting action will become a stinky mess in short time.

Tell us more about your coop and run plans for chickens.
Lots to learn here... and many to help you along the way.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @BeautifulB
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1917090

Hi I’m located in southern Oregon and I converted a 10x10 dog run with a roof and a two formex snap lock chicken coops attached I want to find a run bedding that Keeps down smell easy to clean and inexpensive to do I don’t wanna use straw I don’t wanna use hey I’m thinking about doing sand so that I can scoop it out easier please give me your insight I would greatly appreciate it I also have two ducks and 10 chickens

Love the sand in the run and most importantly so do the chicks. They dust bathe in it, use the grit in it, it has no smell and cleans easily in 5 minutes on a daily basis. I also have it in the coop with the exception of the nest boxes. Works wonderfully. Good luck with your plans.

Hi I’m located in southern Oregon and I converted a 10x10 dog run with a roof and a two formex snap lock chicken coops attached I want to find a run bedding that Keeps down smell easy to clean and inexpensive to do I don’t wanna use straw I don’t wanna use hey I’m thinking about doing sand so that I can scoop it out easier please give me your insight I would greatly appreciate it I also have two ducks and 10 chickens
Sounds crowded...and ducks will make everything wetter(stinkier).
Scooping out 100sqft of sand daily does not sound 'easy to clean' IMO.

Sorry, not a fan of sand. Used it the brooder and eventually it was full of pulverized poop(you cannot sift it all out) and it stunk when the slightest bit damp.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
But I have 500sqft of run for 15 birds.
full

Sounds crowded...and ducks will make everything wetter(stinkier).
Scooping out 100sqft of sand daily does not sound 'easy to clean' IMO.

Sorry, not a fan of sand. Used it the brooder and eventually it was full of pulverized poop(you cannot sift it all out) and it stunk when the slightest bit damp.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
But I have 500sqft of run for 15 birds.
full

Unfortunately we don’t have composting littler like that in our yard just pine needles so I have to find another method so I’m thinking of layering the dg then sand and where the duck pond is doing river rocks and I we’ll have different roosting trees and lots of inrichment tools and when I’m home they can free range

Back
Top Bottom