Decreased daylight time and egg laying for soon to be layers

Pics

Loomischic

Chirping
Jul 15, 2023
So I am new to chickens.. My chickens will soon start laying in next couple of weeks. These are some of the shortest daylight days. How will this effect their first production of eggs? Will it change later? Will this screw them up? Should I change anything or let nature take its course ?

Shorter days slow down egg production. Add enough light so they get at least 12 hours just like all chickens do at the equator. No point in letting them sit in the dark being unproductive. Mine would be in the dark for close to 15 hours in my location and seems a bit cruel and unnecessary.

Explain Chickens on the other end of the continent from you then. The ones in alaska can go from 20 hr days to 22 hr nites … no supplementing is done there. just let them be natural.
Let's discuss this. Where exactly did chickens originate? What part of the world did someone first find them just living out in the wild? (certainly not Alaska--)
I have a feeling that it was closer to the equator. I dont think chickens would even live in all the far-from-equator parts of the planet if they had not been chick-napped by hoomans, prove me wrong ?

Let's discuss this. Where exactly did chickens originate? What part of the world did someone first find them just living out in the wild? (certainly not Alaska--)
I have a feeling that it was closer to the equator. I dont think chickens would even live in all the far-from-equator parts of the planet if they had not been chick-napped by hoomans, prove me wrong ?
Lets not fight please :) :)

Lets not fight please :) :)
no fighting ! lol This topic is just really intersting to me and I honestly want to discuss it and together we find truth :love
I have always felt bad for my ducks out in the dark for 15 hours and I think that this year, I might finally add a little light in there for a couple hours. This thread got me thinking.
It is probably the most natural thing to add the light, that brings them closer to their true natural environment, I now think

Back
Top Bottom