Decreased daylight time and egg laying for soon to be layers

Pics
It occurred to me a couple weeks ago, as the position of the sun started changing, that our garage is now blocking a lot of the light they get during the summer. I don't really feel like it's safe to run an electrical cord out back, but I was genuinely curious if this might be a problem for them. Not just in terms of when they'll first lay, but over all health and well-being.
They don't need direct sunlight. They're not plants. Ambient light is enough and in summer it's advantageous to have more shade - heat is problematic and while chickens enjoy sunbathing, they'll opt to mostly stay in shaded areas on hotter days.

a scientific study could be done but it would be complicated because you would have to take into account each participants latitude and longitude , the breeds of the chicks, the exact minute and day of hatch , and more i’m sure , things like what feed they were on and brooder types and temps and other factors regarding housing and size of flock and when first egg was layed , daily weather, were there other kinds of poultry around ( geese, ducks, etc ) and etc etc it could take several years to figure out
I just wanted to hear other people’s experiences and thoughts. But that would be one heck of an extensive study. Maybe we just gave someone an idea!

Last edited:
I am a new chicken momma as well and waiting for my end of May and supposedly early layers to surprise me with an egg, hopefully soon, but I am not getting my hopes up and am prepared for all possibilities ☺️. Fascinating stuff though and anticipation is palpable - for all experienced chicken ladies out there it’s probably not as exciting anymore, but we first timers are giddy like little kids in the candy store 😊😅♥️ So please bear with us and humour our over eager little quirk ☺️♥️

They don't need direct sunlight. They're not plants. Ambient light is enough and in summer it's advantageous to have more shade - heat is problematic and while chickens enjoy sunbathing, they'll opt to mostly stay in shaded areas on hotter days.
Good to know about ambient light, and thanks reeling me in from going down that mental rabbit hole! 😜

So I am new to chickens.. My chickens will soon start laying in next couple of weeks. These are some of the shortest daylight days. How will this effect their first production of eggs? Will it change later? Will this screw them up? Should I change anything or let nature take its course ?
Update: 2 chickens have been inconsistently laying. 3 have not started yet.

Just following up with the update on our chickens - they have turned 26 weeks this past Friday and I have found their first 2 eggs this morning ☺️. A beautiful Christmas surprise ♥️

2E950748-1BAF-4138-9AEF-02C7892A8EA4.jpeg

I’ve always bought chicks in late June. They all start laying in the winter but I am in Georgia so that could be why. We have very mild winter. My chicks from late June just started laying this week and this is the coldest temperature we’ve had yet. Not sure if it’s all from one or I have more laying I’ve only gotten one a day
7BC4399E-B174-4C77-ADD1-FB39E29B66EC.jpeg

They all look same size and shade so could be just one so far

Back
Top Bottom