Decreased daylight time and egg laying for soon to be layers

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/submissive-squat-eggs-soon.1544152/
Squatted for the OP Aug 17-- Layed her first egg Sept 7

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...dy-but-still-no-laying.1557231/#post-26382596
Squatted for the OP Dec 12-
Layed her first egg Jan 10

Here's a couple threads for the OP if she wants some light reading...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-signs-before-they-start-laying.1571010/#post-26691514

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ndicator-of-egg-laying.1543750/#post-26146401

There's quite a few threads on this subject.

Thank you For the extra info. I think I understand the behavioral and physical indicators of laying. My question is more of how the decrease in winter daylight hours effects the maturation of their first lays when they coincide

Exactly right. I always time my chicks to come in the fall and by the time it starts to turn cold, they are fully feathered and out in the chicken yard. By the time they are old enough to lay, spring is here With longer days.
I bought the chicks when it was convenient for me. My first flock. I did the math on when each breed usually starts to lay and knew that it would be mid fall. But now that my days are are gettting shorter and shorter and I knew from reading that daylight light and temperature effects laying. Now I’m curious as to what others have experienced when their chicks first eggs happen to naturally coincide with what would be a slow down in the chickens natural laying production.

Thank you For the extra info. I think I understand the behavioral and physical indicators of laying. My question is more of how the decrease in winter daylight hours effects the maturation of their first lays when they coincide
I opologize for veering your thread off course and will respectfully bow out as I don't have the knowledge there. Wish you great luck with your pullets and hope you get the answers to your questions your looking for.

I bought the chicks when it was convenient for me. My first flock. I did the math on when each breed usually starts to lay and knew that it would be mid fall. But now that my days are are gettting shorter and shorter and I knew from reading that daylight light and temperature effects laying. Now I’m curious as to what others have experienced when their chicks first eggs happen to naturally coincide with what would be a slow down in the chickens natural laying production.
Sometimes they wait until spring and sometimes they don't - so this thread of yours can be an example for others in the future as long as you keep us all posted as to when your sweeties start to lay! Ill be watching .....

Im in the same boat with my POL. Im debating on adding a light but we haven't run power yet. Heres my new girls and Dude one of my original girls that hangs w the new girls

Attachments

• BB577E4E-ECD6-4FA1-9E24-7FCBC43A9678.jpeg
    BB577E4E-ECD6-4FA1-9E24-7FCBC43A9678.jpeg
    862.4 KB · Views: 5
I must be lucky. I don't use supplemental lighting, but most of my spring chicks started laying in their first fall/winter. I even had one pullet lay her first egg on Christmas day. I've had a couple wait until the days start lengthening again in late Jan/early Feb, but those have been the exception, not the rule.

I must be lucky. I don't use supplemental lighting, but most of my spring chicks started laying in their first fall/winter. I even had one pullet lay her first egg on Christmas day. I've had a couple wait until the days start lengthening again in late Jan/early Feb, but those have been the exception, not the rule.
where do you live?

a scientific study could be done but it would be complicated because you would have to take into account each participants latitude and longitude , the breeds of the chicks, the exact minute and day of hatch , and more i’m sure , things like what feed they were on and brooder types and temps and other factors regarding housing and size of flock and when first egg was layed , daily weather, were there other kinds of poultry around ( geese, ducks, etc ) and etc etc it could take several years to figure out

Back
Top Bottom