Decreased daylight time and egg laying for soon to be layers

So I am new to chickens.. My chickens will soon start laying in next couple of weeks. These are some of the shortest daylight days. How will this effect their first production of eggs? Will it change later? Will this screw them up? Should I change anything or let nature take its course ?
This is a good question/discussion. I can’t really tell you what to expect, but am interested in what you find out.

Previously, I’ve always had early spring chicks who begin laying in late summer/early fall. This year I bought/hatched chicks in early May, late May, mid Aug, and early Sept. My early May chicks (Orpington, EE, & Marans) started laying approx. a month ago. The Orp & Marans are laying very consistently. The EE laid for 2 weeks and then quit. She has no signs of health issues, so I’m curious if she stopped laying because of the shorter days, an undiscovered health issue, or because I have a colored-egg layer curse.

My late May babies (a Buckeye and a Wyandotte mix) should be laying soonish, but I have seen no egg-laying behavior from them whatsoever. No squatting, my mature roo hasn't made a move on them, and they aren’t looking for nesting sites. I’m wondering if they are going to wait longer to lay.

My August & September pullets will be old enough to lay in December. I’m very curious what will happen then. For reference, I’m in Maryland, and I don’t use artificial light. I hope you’ll update and let us know what your girls decide to do.

Now I’m curious as to what others have experienced when their chicks first eggs happen to naturally coincide with what would be a slow down in the chickens natural laying production.
I tend to get chicks in May, I don't really plan it that way but that's when the breeds I want became available so it it's worked out that way for 3 batches.

Take into account I have a variety of breeds but I've had everything from pullets laying at around 21 weeks (Oct) to over 30 weeks (Dec/Jan) which is a decently big range.

Chanteclers are bred for cold climate and will lay eggs just fine in the winter without supplemental light. There's nothing wrong with adding or not adding light to your flock. If I do add light pullets will begin to lay earlier like they are supposed to. It does them no harm, I have a couple hens that are 8 years old. For my area its about health and fitness of the chickens, days are a bit to short in the north east when winter solstice starts. In southern states like Texas I understand there is no need for adding light. What I dont understand is when people think its natural to let them sit in the dark and start laying when days lengthen. There is absolutely nothing natural about buying chicks at the box store or hatchery, incubating eggs, selective breeding, raising chickens and keeping them in a coop.

Now we use a LED, just about 40W, from 4am to 8am daily, in one section of the coop, where most of the flock roosts. It's about 6' x 12'. It doesn't take much lighting at all! The light is up high.
Mary
oh ok thanks so thats like waking them up early , do you give them any water or feed in the coop then?

Watching this thread with interest! I hope those you who are waiting for pullets to lay will update when they do. I'm in the same boat. Our gals hatched mid-May, so I guess it could be any time or not!

It occurred to me a couple weeks ago, as the position of the sun started changing, that our garage is now blocking a lot of the light they get during the summer. I don't really feel like it's safe to run an electrical cord out back, but I was genuinely curious if this might be a problem for them. Not just in terms of when they'll first lay, but over all health and well-being.

I might be able to expand their ranging area towards the west so they could get a little bit of that sunshine. It would just be challenging with how stuff is configured in the yard. Stuff to think about!

Back
Top Bottom