Decrow surgery

Hey my rooster just turned 4 months old and I was wondering when is the best and safest age to decrow a roo.
You missed the opportunity to caponize. It is done when cockerel is 3 to 6 weeks old. You can still do it after that time, but the possibility that it may crow are more.
Don't know what to suggest:idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Hey my rooster just turned 4 months old and I was wondering when is the best and safest age to decrow a roo.
Don't know what you mean by 'decrow'. Some people caponise but that is normally done at a younger age. It doesn't necessarily stop crowing but will make them infertile. Any surgery to remove the crow will put the cockeral at risk and is just wrong. You can use a no crow collar but the effectiveness of these are varied. IMO if you have a cockeral let him be a cockeral. If your not allowed one or don't want the crowing, rehome him.

First, good luck finding a vet who will do it....rare and expensive.
Have read the procedure is iffy at best...for both survival of surgery and results of reducing crow volume.

Have you found a vet that's willing to do the surgery? If so, ask that vet what age is best.

If you have not found such a vet, then start by finding one, and then ask them what age.

The opinion of the person doing the procedure matters much more than the opinion of anyone else.

Maybe try a collar, first. We use double sided Velcro. Start loose to get them used to it. Tighten a little at a time. Watch them for a while to make sure they can eat and drink with no issues. Some of ours can handle the collars tighter than others. We check them often to make sure the collars aren’t hurting them in any way, and give them breaks from time to time.

We tried a collar on our old rooster it didn’t do much and when we tightened it we see him gasping for air. So the surgery is the only way to keep a rooster. Wait ... if you canonize a rooster will it be able to fertilize eggs?

Back
Top Bottom