Deep breath - totally new coop plans for 'Les Poules' after being here!

particularly the 'how much space do they need' one. In that you wrote
I did not write that article, but it's a good one so I have it linked in my signature.

Yes, you can have a smaller coop(less floor space) in mild temps with a wind and rain protected covered run, BUT you still need to have room for them to navigate roosts feeders nests etc.

Roost length can be one serious limiter in a smaller coop.
12" of roost length per bird is a good rule of thumb,
BUT that can depend on how high roosts are and how much landing area is needed to get down from roosts without crashing into something.

Crowding on roosts can cause much stress and even injury....the RoostTimeRumble is usually a pretty combative time of the day. They might squish into less space to actually sleep, but they need more space to fly up and jostle for position.

Another detriment to a smaller coop is adding new birds, which almost everyone does eventually due to wanting more birds or just replacing with fresh layers or due to losses from other issues. Integrating new birds takes 'extra' separate but adjacent space...so keep that in mind too.

How will the bigger stuff work if they try to walk on it (picturing broken legs!)? I'm wondering if I can do some sort of drop down solid board for that section on hinges that I just open like a slide and scrape off.

My birds don't walk on the welded wire. At least, I don't think they do. My coop is 5 ft x 5 ft (1.52m x 1.52m). The welded wire area under the roost is 2 ft x 5 ft (0.61m x 1.52m), but it looks much thinner than that in this picture. The top of the roost is about 2 ft (0.61m) from the floor and 1 ft (0.3m) from the wall.. My nest boxes are exterior to the floor space. My chickens spend nearly no time in the coop except to roost or lay eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    519.7 KB · Views: 19
I don't think so, but in truth I just don't know. I would think the pop door open 24/7 would cause more of a draft. I can close the pop door, but the only time I've done that is when I was training them to the coop/roost. I think the open area under the roost helps tremendously with ventilation. The coop is always dry as a bone in all types of weather we experience here.

I don't think so, but in truth I just don't know. I would think the pop door open 24/7 would cause more of a draft. I can close the pop door, but the only time I've done that is when I was training them to the coop/roost. I think the open area under the roost helps tremendously with ventilation. The coop is always dry as a bone in all types of weather we experience here.
Do you have high vents too?

They can walk on 1x2 just fine, I use it in my crates and on grazing frames.

My birds don't walk on the welded wire. At least, I don't think they do. My coop is 5 ft x 5 ft (1.52m x 1.52m). The welded wire area under the roost is 2 ft x 5 ft (0.61m x 1.52m), but it looks much thinner than that in this picture. The top of the roost is about 2 ft (0.61m) from the floor and 1 ft (0.3m) from the wall.. My nest boxes are exterior to the floor space. My chickens spend nearly no time in the coop except to roost or lay eggs.
Who knows what they do when you are not watching :lau Thanks so much for the picture - See I think that looks fabulous @imnukensc Is that just cleaned or is that how it always looks (as in can't see much poop on the wire)? How many chooks do you keep in your coop? I'll see if I can source the sized grill that you talk of and have a look at it. I suppose that you are right and they won't walk on it if they are jumping up from in front (do they ever fall off / get knocked off??) If you look at my plans they have lots of space in front (basically the whole 2 metres (6ft ish) until the far northern wall) so I feel that should be enough space for them to comfortably get up and down.

Doesn’t the open area under the roosts make the coop very drafty? :confused:
I live somewhere that is pretty mild. I figure if it is too cold I can always cover up in the winter with a piece of board the bonus to me is that there will be lots of ventilation in the summer when it is hot.

I did not write that article, but it's a good one so I have it linked in my signature.
Ahhh sorry @aart - I just presumed it was yours as I got there from you sig but yes I remember someone elses name being mentioned on other posts I've read!
Yes, you can have a smaller coop(less floor space) in mild temps with a wind and rain protected covered run, BUT you still need to have room for them to navigate roosts feeders nests etc.

Roost length can be one serious limiter in a smaller coop.
12" of roost length per bird is a good rule of thumb,
BUT that can depend on how high roosts are and how much landing area is needed to get down from roosts without crashing into something.
Not sure if you had a chance to look at the plan or saw my other post about what will be in there (nothing other than the roosts and access to the external nesting boxes) but there are currently 2 roosts running the whole width so 4.4m / 14ft 5" which should be more than enough for the 12 and divided by the 12" you have suggested is enough for 14.5 chickens. There is 2 metres (6 feet) from the bottom of the 2nd roost to the wall in front surely that is enough space?

Another detriment to a smaller coop is adding new birds, which almost everyone does eventually due to wanting more birds or just replacing with fresh layers or due to losses from other issues. Integrating new birds takes 'extra' separate but adjacent space...so keep that in mind too.
I have added in the brooder space (2 ft by 5 ft I think it was) and I also have a small hutch style coop and nearly have a A frame chicken tractor (needs finishing!) to help with any stress from integration. I know it isn't a huge 20ft x 20 ft coop but I thought it was quite a decent size and covering all the recommended sizes for up to 18 birds (and that is BYC 4ft / bird not some of the other far less suggestions!) but feel like you guys think that I should be building bigger???? I guess because it is now about 4 times bigger than my original plan ;)I feel like it is decent but now getting concerned it isn't!

I guess because it is now about 4 times bigger than my original plan ;)I feel like it is decent but now getting concerned it isn't!
Build what you can and adjust your number of birds once you see how they do.
My first winter I had 12 birds, they did fine.
Second winter, 15, fine
Third, 21, too crowded.
This the fourth, 17, fine...now down to 15, better.

@aart, yes, I do have high vents, also. And I believe the ridges in the galvanized roofing help a little, too.
@PouleChick, I had just cleaned the wire before taking the picture, but I haven't changed the shavings on the floor for about 3 months. I've only got 2 chickens right now, but I've had 4 in there. Lost 2 to hawks, but that's the price of free ranging. (I could leave them in the attached run, but they much prefer to be out scratching and pecking around.) I think I could probably keep 6 in it, but 4 chickens lay many more eggs than the wife and I can use. Even with just the 2 we have now we give eggs away.

Attachments

• IMG_2138.JPG
    IMG_2138.JPG
    813.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I think you have the henhouse plans finalized. How big is the run going to be?
I'll probably still be fiddling for a while until I'm happy with it I want to make it is good as I can in the space that I have! The run I'm hoping for about 20m2 (so 200ft 2) of covered or semi covered totally HC run that they cna have full access too but again will depend on finances and dh. They will also have access in the day to fenced freeranging areas when I'm around (which is most days) so perhaps the run doesn't need to be as big if it is not something they will normally be locked up in all day. Anyway plan is to build as big as I can afford and there are always extensions later if needed!

Build what you can and adjust your number of birds once you see how they do.
My first winter I had 12 birds, they did fine.
Second winter, 15, fine
Third, 21, too crowded.
This the fourth, 17, fine...now down to 15, better.
That sounds like a good plan - I'm sure it will be a big learning curve for me to start with to see what works. As I said to start I think 12 will be my flock size just thought I should try to build to be able to accommodate 18 based on the magic numbers and that will been comfy for 12 and space for more if I want them. I'm really not worried about the winters, I can't see there ever being days they won't be out in the run. We've been here 3 winters so far and no snow even - so different to what you guys in the cold areas of the states have to deal with! As someone else said for birds that are only sleeping and laying inside ever they may not even need 4ft/bird so I think I should be good and if in the future I need more space as I said about the run - there are always extensions - or satellite coops!

@PouleChick, I had just cleaned the wire before taking the picture, but I haven't changed the shavings on the floor for about 3 months.
That is great, I really think it seems like a good system and would work really well for me the way my land slopes down where I have the space to do something similar. What do you use on the droppings on the ground to keep them smell / fly free - cover in shavings or anything? how often are you having to 'scrape' your existing wire and is it a quick and easy job or a PITA to get it to drop (obviously it isn't fantastic or you wouldnt' be looking at changing the wire but wondering how bad it is)?

Back
Top Bottom