Deep litter coop floor - linoleum or wood?

Right. But I honestly doubt it would be necessary.
..and not really a good idea to scratch the surface.

My posts from previously in this thread:
Sorry for the digression.
I'd not go cheap on the vinyl, especially if you want to bend it up the walls.
Have fun shopping!
I just tacked it with a couple screws into the studs where it went high enough to 'flop' on the ends. Used some 'L' stock at doorways, one shown here at the main pop door, more pics on my coop page.

I used a full sheet of linoleum to create a barrier between the wood floor and my dry deep litter of wood chips. I don't think you would have to put scratches into the linoleum to prevent slipping, and even more so, I think scratches in the linoleum would only cause the vinyl to get wetter and rot out faster. Even a small amount (1-2 inches) of litter on top of the linoleum should be sufficient to prevent slipping, but I load my coop up with as much at 10-12 inches of wood chips over the winter.

I bought my sheet of linoleum large enough so that I have 12 inches bent up on the sides of the walls. That was needed for my deep litter system to also protect the walls.

Ok I will try it without the scratches first. If I run into any sliding problems then i will rub it with the sandp
Ok I will try it without the sandpaper rub, and if I get into any sliding problems then I will do the sandpaper rub. Thank you so very much šŸ¤—

I used a full sheet of linoleum to create a barrier between the wood floor and my dry deep litter of wood chips. I don't think you would have to put scratches into the linoleum to prevent slipping, and even more so, I think scratches in the linoleum would only cause the vinyl to get wetter and rot out faster. Even a small amount (1-2 inches) of litter on top of the linoleum should be sufficient to prevent slipping, but I load my coop up with as much at 10-12 inches of wood chips over the winter.

I bought my sheet of linoleum large enough so that I have 12 inches bent up on the sides of the walls. That was needed for my deep litter system to also protect the walls.
Ok great, I will do as you say. Thank you šŸ¤—šŸ¤—

I am in my last days of coop build and will have to finally decide on a coop floor for my deep litter method chicken coop. The current floor is 3/4" OSB. I am trying to decide if I should cover the floor with some cheap linoleum, or some sacrificial 7/16" OSB wood floor. If anyone has some opinions based on their experience, I would like to hear from you. If it makes any difference, I live in northern Minnesota, and can expect the chickens to be basically living in the coop for at least 4 months of the year.

Initially I was thinking of going with linoleum, but the more I have read about the deep litter method, the more I am learning that the litter should be dry, not wet, so I am second guessing my need for a waterproof/resistant linoleum. If fact, I now wonder if a sacrificial sheet of OSB would be better because it would actually soak up any moisture if anything went down far enough in the deep litter bedding.

I also was thinking that linoleum would be easier to clean out than a wood floor, but the more I read here on BYC posts, the more I learn some people go years without changing their deep litter. I am currently planning on cleaning out the coop once in the spring (after a long winter), and once in the fall before the snow falls.

The difference in cost, for me, is not really a factor as a 6X12 sheet of inexpensive linoleum is about $50, and the OSB sheets would be about $25. So for $25 difference, I would rather go with which ever flooring is better.

Currently I am using wood chips and pine shavings in the chick brooder. Their litter is about 4 inches deep and it stays really dry. I fluff it up about once a week and do not notice any wet spots. Also, there is almost no ammonia smell but if I start to detect any, I just throw in additional wood chips or pine shavings. Granted, these are still 6 week old chicks and not full grown chickens, so the smell issue may be an issue later. If the wood chips don't kill the smell, I am planning on adding some PDZ which has been recommended by others here on BYC forum.

I have no experience in deep litter coop floor coverings, so I have no strong feelings. Any comments most welcomed. Thank you.
I wonā€™t have the moisture probably that you will bring in Minnesota. I live in MS. Donā€™t know but I used Linoleum. I use deep litter but I want to hose mine out twice a year because I figure that one day no matter how diligent I am that this is bug country. Notes and ticks will one day pose an issue. We have seed ticks also. They are a holy terror for man and beast. Size of a very minute speck of pepper and move in like a cloud of thousand and can drain a hen over night. So I want to be able to hose and bleach out the entire run then spray down as often as needed and then replace and entire floor if I have to. I have to.

I wonā€™t have the moisture probably that you will bring in Minnesota. I live in MS. Donā€™t know but I used Linoleum. I use deep litter but I want to hose mine out twice a year because I figure that one day no matter how diligent I am that this is bug country. Notes and ticks will one day pose an issue. We have seed ticks also. They are a holy terror for man and beast. Size of a very minute speck of pepper and move in like a cloud of thousand and can drain a hen over night. So I want to be able to hose and bleach out the entire run then spray down as often as needed and then replace and entire floor if I have to. I have to.
Not spray out an entire run that too but the coop and replace coop floor if needed.

Ok I will try it without the sandpaper rub, and if I get into any sliding problems then I will do the sandpaper rub.
Mine slide around if they are scrambling during pecking order battles,
especially when I change out the shavings twice a year.
I've seen a few crazy wipe outs, but no injuries.
I'd not worry about it.

Mine slide around if they are scrambling during pecking order battles,
especially when I change out the shavings twice a year.
I've seen a few crazy wipe outs, but no injuries.
I'd not worry about it.
Ok Thank you !!!šŸ¤—

Back
Top Bottom