Deep Litter Questions

MotherOfChickens

Songster
Jun 29, 2017
Middle Tennessee
Hi! :D

So I have a few questions about the deep litter method and I am hoping those of you who are highly experienced in this could possibly answer them for me. So here goes...

I am building a new coop here in the next couple weeks. The dimensions will be roughly 3.5 ft deep x 7 feet wide by 5.5 feet tall. Now it will be roughly 18 inches up off the ground so the actual coop will be 4 feet tall.

First question, is deep litter possible to do properly with those dimensions?

If I do the deep litter method, should I make my coop sit closer to the ground and not so high up? I am trying to deter mice that come into my run from the neighbor's shed. I don't want them moving in. So, with all that said, if I make it lower, how low? I can not make my coop taller because it will sit inside my run which tops out at 6 ft.

Next question would be, is it possible to do the deep litter method in the chicken run as well? My run is 8 ft deep x 20 ft long and 6 ft tall. It is roofed and enclosed on 2 sides.

Thank you so much for your help! :love:wee

Don't bother trying to deep litter in a coop - it's hard to get the process going without a dirt floor and ample space to pile in the litter, neither or which you will have. You can however take the used litter from the coop and mix it into deep litter in the run.

A dirt or (formerly) grass run is a good place for using deep litter.

In your situation I'd recommend deep litter in the run, and pine shavings in the coop, with a poop tray under your roosts. Then the poop will be easy to scrape or scoop into a bucket, keeping the shavings cleaner longer. When the shavings are soiled, they can simply be scraped out into the deep litter in the run, and replaced. That's the way I do it with my elevated coop.

This is a subject I really struggle with. I thought I was using the deep litter method but I keep reading things that tell me I'm wrong. LOL I read that I should not use DE with deep litter. I also read it could be done in the coop, even with a wooden floor. I was going to ask if it can be used with ducks, as my two ducks are hanging with the chickens now. But, as I "think out-loud" I know ducks poop about anywhere so I couldn't keep the straw and pine shavings dry.

SMH
It is a bit hard to understand, and is often misrepresented which makes it even more difficult to understand....I agree, SMH.
Here's one of the best explanations I've read:
TalkALittle's post on DB vs DL: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1075545/can-i-do-deep-litter-method-with-this-coop#post_16440037

In your situation I'd recommend deep litter in the run, and pine shavings in the coop, with a poop tray under your roosts. Then the poop will be easy to scrape or scoop into a bucket, keeping the shavings cleaner longer. When the shavings are soiled, they can simply be scraped out into the deep litter in the run, and replaced. That's the way I do it with my elevated coop.
This is what I am doing(I have only had chickens since spring and it has been a learning process and i’ve Tried several methods) The poop board is a must! It takes about a minute in the morning to scrape out the poop from my 11 birds but the ammonia smell I was starting to get in the coop has been completely eliminated, so totally worth it!

Nice!
How hard was moving the upper inches to get to the good stuff?
How big is your coop?
I have a 6x10 Woods Open Air Coop. It took a full morning to clean out the composted DL. I piled half the top, uncomposted litter on one side and shoveled out the bottom half, then shifted the litter to the other side. I left an inch of compost on the bottom. I have found that the DLM isn't like hot composting. It doesn't need to be turned as much. If I notice a build up of poop I may turn over the litter with a fork but for the most part, I just let the chickens scratch and turn it over.

Back
Top Bottom