Deep Litter Questions

I've used DL in my coop for a year. I have a HW skirt and a dirt floor. Works great. I toss in treats occasionally and the birds turn the litter on their own. I cleaned out the bottom 4 inches or so of the loveliest composted soil this spring. I just toss in whatever yard waste is handy to maintain a depth of about 6-10 inches.

I’ma fan of DE in the summer. It controls ants very well for me. DE in winter is just a waste of money. If if gets wet does nothing. The ground gets hard and frozen. I just don’t have the insects in winter. Mites no longer live (eggs lay dormant).

That's the catch, you'll have a hard time keeping rats out, because they tunnel. It is always good to have a wire skirt around the border of your run, and coop if the coop has a dirt floor.
I have read several neat articles lately. Both described a cool method, albeit a bit more work/expense, for dirt floor critter deterrent. Your coop won't be huge so perhaps it is an option for you.

Either dig out 6" of earth and line the ground with hardware cloth (being sure to continue it up the sides 6" or so) then refill the area or lay the hardware cloth out inside your coop directly on the soil and cover with 4-6" of dirt. There is now a critter safe subfloor to your coop. Take care to still skirt the coop with whatever wire you are using all the way to meet and overlap the hardware cloth edges.

We were going to use this method but while I was gone one day, my hubby emptied the 10x10 shed and moved it to the run for me to design att will as the new coop! It is fully sealed and has a 1 1/2" solid floor so I just keep pine shavings spread inside.

I've used DL in my coop for a year. I have a HW skirt and a dirt floor. Works great. I toss in treats occasionally and the birds turn the litter on their own. I cleaned out the bottom 4 inches or so of the loveliest composted soil this spring. I just toss in whatever yard waste is handy to maintain a depth of about 6-10 inches.
Nice!
How hard was moving the upper inches to get to the good stuff?
How big is your coop?

Back
Top Bottom