Deer Shoulder Roast?

I always thought low and slow too. But...yeah there's that but
smile.png
..I have experimented enough that I have had great success using a cup of hot sauce to tenderize. The heat cooks out, but the meat stays tender. I do roasts in 30 minutes in a pan on the stove top like this, and they are always tender. I keep a gallon of hot sauce around at ALL times for this very reason. Thanks for the ideas. I think I will still try this recipe and add the sauce to it. then I will post how it turned out tomorrow. It's free meat. If it is not good, the chickens and dogs will take care of it anyway, and we will force down at least one meal with it good or not
big_smile.png

Cindiloo
There are certainly more experienced cooks out there than me - especially where venison is concerned. I also have a pretty well sealed cast iron dutch over that I'm used to cooking in - which may give me some better results with tougher cuts. I am also prone to throwing whatever wine is laying around into it - so I'm adding a few cups of liquid. High heat and low moisture will render a very tough piece of meat.

I've been cooking since I was 5 from a kitchen chair in my grandma's house. I know all this
big_smile.png
I was just brain picking for something different really. My husband says I could make shoe leather taste good, so I know we will like it at least a little
smile.png
It may not be the best thing ever to hit our plates, but deer is tough in general, especially this cut. Like I said thanks for all the advice, I still think I will try it out. I have a good dutch oven too, not cast iron, but a good one. I think it will be okay. I just needed some inspiration I guess. I love to try new things and new combinations, and I am teaching my 12 year old, so she can help. We will learn from our mistakes together. Cooking is never JUST about the end product. Trial and error is a way of life for a good cook. Heck I may just let the kid cook it however she wants
wink.png
If it turns out spectacular, I'll let you all know. If not...I wanted to try making homemade dog food, and can still use it
lau.gif

Here's my thing for tough dry meat.

wash and dry the meat.
rub with garlic, olive oil, salt-pepper
brown it in a ROCKET HOT CAST IROM SKILLET about 2 to three minutes on each side. Get it really brown, almost burned. The pan really needs to be cast iron because it will hold the heat better than a thin pan. (it will smoke up the house though,,,I sometimes do it outside on the grill)
DO NOT WASH THE PAN!!!! save all those juices and brown bits to make GRAVY!!!

give it another garlic rub down with salt and pepper and instead of oil wrap it in bacon.

pop it in a 250 oven for about 5 hours or so. don't put the vegitables in until the last hour or so (at 250 they will take longer to cook but they don't need a full 5 hours of cooking)
Save the yummies in the roasting pan for the gravy also!!!
**If you do the crockpot or hot oven methods described earlier, don't put the veggies in until the last 35 to 40 minutes of cooking...nothing worse than over-roasted veggies.

I take my deer shoulders (the entire shoulder bone and all) put it in a baking bag with a stick of butter spread on it with any type of seasoning I have around, like A-1, garlic, salt, pepper, worstershire sauce etc. and bake it in the oven all night on very low heat, I think 125 degrees is as low as mine will go. They turn out great, not tough at all.

I like to do this with mine, take a knife and make deep slit's into roast, push in garlic cloves, I used a whole head of garlic to a 3lb. shoulder, alot of slit's, sprinkle with salt and pepper, brown on all sides using olive oil and a tab of butter, place in dutch oven, sprinkle cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder on roast and add 3 to 4 cups of water and 3-4 beef bouillion cubes place aluim. foil over top of dutch oven if your lid is not tight. bake 400* for 45 min, turn heat back to 250* and bake 3 to 4 hours watching liquid. Really tender and tast good.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom