Deformed chicks I need to cull.

Agree, looks like split wing or angel wing. I use a SHARP! knife. Not mere Sharp, or was once Sharp! or gods forbid, sorta ShARp, but actually SHARP!.

Now, on the subject of split/angel wing, which has a definite genetic component, it also has a feed/nutrition component (at least, in waterfowl - not the split, that's pure recessive genetics - but the outward twist). What have you been feeding those hatchlings??? (and yes, I'd be removing the Roo from the equation, not just the offspring - but my management practices and goals differ from most)

That’s just split wing. You’ll have no trouble selling/giving them away as pet quality because it’s such a minor issue. The chicks that are lethargic probably have something else going on, such as coccidiosis.
A7C4B339-0ED3-43B7-B147-0066ABE42CD8.jpeg

Agree, looks like split wing or angel wing. I use a SHARP! knife. Not mere Sharp, or was once Sharp! or gods forbid, sorta ShARp, but actually SHARP!.

Now, on the subject of split/angel wing, which has a definite genetic component, it also has a feed/nutrition component (at least, in waterfowl - not the split, that's pure recessive genetics - but the outward twist). What have you been feeding those hatchlings??? (and yes, I'd be removing the Roo from the equation, not just the offspring - but my management practices and goals differ from most)
Thank you firstly for no judgement.

They were eggs that came from a breeder and hatched out and developed this way, so I believe nothing I did but the recessive gene from the breeder as you say.

They are on medicated chick starter that I have always fed other with zero issues, I have also added vitamin supplement to their water.

Thank you firstly for no judgement.

They were eggs that came from a breeder and hatched out and developed this way, so I believe nothing I did but the recessive gene from the breeder as you say.

They are on medicated chick starter that I have always fed other with zero issues, I have also added vitamin supplement to their water.
Never know with newer Posters what their birds might be getting, particularly out of country, though here in the US, some of our newer members have been given "curious" advice by the Farm Store employees - I had to ask. Vitamin support was a good call on general principles.

Its a task none of us look forward to which you now face. I'd offer that delay is no kindness to you, or the birds. Better luck next hatching.

They don't have coccidiosis been there before with chicks and the allocated homes are no longer wanting them.
Split wing wouldn’t cause lethargy. It’s not a harmful trait (there’s actually a breed, ko shamos, that are intentionally bred to have split wing). I would separate the sickly chicks from the rest of them in case it’s something contagious.

Back
Top Bottom