Deformed eggs

bearcat1

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Have one out of twelve hens that is laying deformed eggs. They have lots of lumps or bumps at both ends of the egg; also have tiny groups of bumps that can be rubbed out all over the egg(tiny ball shaped). This has been going on for about a month; some of her eggs seem to be thin or weak. I leave crushed oyster shells in a small rabbit feeder for the flock to consume as needed and feed them layer food, good table scraps and free range around three hours a day. Have good pics of these eggs, but not sure how to post them. Any help would be great, thanks Dewey

It could be something with just that hen. If they have just started laying it could be her system working itself out. She might be not be absorbing the calcium right.

If it's just one out of twelve, then it's probably just a reproductive issue with the one hen and not an illness. I know IB can cause wrinkled eggs, not sure of any other illnesses off hand. I'd have to do a search. You can type in deforemed eggs in the search box and see what comes up ....

You'll need to answer some other questions though as well for others to be able to better help you ...
such as how old is the hen ? What breed ? Any illness in the flock recently ? Injuries ? changes in diet or otherwise ?

Maybe someone else will have an idea ....

and
welcome-byc.gif

The hen is a easter egger, about one year old and layed perfect eggs till last month.

Back
Top Bottom