DEFORMED PAINFUL FOOT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gsim, Oct 15, 2016.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I have a Rhode Island Red hen who has two painful bulblous growths. One on each side of her foot. She is only a year old and has had this condition for 6 months. She is a regular layer too. It is painful and she barely allows it to touch the ground and has to roost on one leg at night.

Wondering if there is an antibiotic of some sort I can mix with a treat and give to her daily?

I have Terramycin pills which I keep for myself in our freezer in case of any bronchial trouble. Maybe that would work? It is for Scours and bronchial problems tho, not for strange growths. I also have liquid penicillin in amoxicillin form in fridge just for emergencies. Syringes too.

Ideas?

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
  3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Can you post a picture? This could be bumblefoot(a foot abcess). I need pics of the bottom of the feet and from the front/sides.

4. gsim

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Sorry for tardy answer. I thought I'd get an email if anyone responded. Never happened.

The deformed foot healed after about a year and I can't even see it. No more limping either. Total mystery to me.

Gerry

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. gsim

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Thank you. It healed itself, and I never did learn what it was. No more pain and limping either.

Gerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by