1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delaware/Buff Cochin Mix question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by michiele, Jul 22, 2011.

1. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    I am going to pick out my chicks next weekend. The lady crosses Delaware hens with a Buff Cochin roo. I have been looking around at the genetics to get an idea of what will turn out with the chicks. So confusing to me. I was wondering if I would end up with any white feather footed chicks or buff colored feather footed. After thinking more about it, I wonder if any of them will be feather footed or worse, will only roos be feather footed? Anyone know? Since I am picking out of straight run, it would be a bummer if I pick 6 feathered footed ones and they are all roos, when I really need pullets.

2. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Those chicks will be sex linked, so pick out the buff colored ones if you want pullets. [​IMG]

The feathering on the feet has no bearing on gender, just the color.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Those chicks will be sex linked, so pick out the buff colored ones if you want pullets. smile

Thank you. What color would the roos be? A darker color? Knowing me, I will get confused and specifically pick out the wrong ones:)

4. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    The roos will look more like Delawares. All of the birds will have some amount of feathering on their feet, most likely. I bet they will be very pretty birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by