Delaware fakes

fc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I've looked at the Delaware breeders site to try to figure out if my McMurray Delaware chicks are really Delaware, or, as I've read commonly happens, Columbian Rocks. It is tough to figure out how to tell imposters from what I've read. Are there any pictures showing clear differences?

Well, they won't technically be Columbian Rocks, since those are more rare than Delawares. What you will find is a Delaware that has had Columbian Rock blood in the lines back when Delawares almost died out entirely as a breed, then the hatcheries didn't not cull heavily to get the type back.

Delawares have barred hackles, as do the hens. The roosters have barred tails, the hens have tail black (black feathers with white edging, and barred covert feathers).

With Columbian Rocks or improperly colored Delawares, the hackles will be more solid, like a Brahma, and the males may have solid black tail feathers.

I have not had Columbian Rocks, but here is a properly colored Delaware cockerel where you can clearly see the barred hackles and tail feathers:

DCP_1896.jpg

Here is a Delaware pullet:

DCP_1925Cass.jpg

Yard full 'o Rocks has Columbian Rocks and has posted pictures of them here on BYC often.

Can't really help you with Delawares, but if you want the "sure thing", you should always buy from a reputable breeder. Hatcheries could care less about standards or quality, only quantity. You might want to post some pics of your birds on the Delaware thread, they can help you.
smile.png

I appreciate the responses. My chicks are half grown, but I'll look for the characteristics in your pictures.

I didn't know Columbian Rock was more rare.

Back
Top Bottom