Delaware Hen?

carriehelene

Songster
10 Years
Feb 9, 2009
Capital Region NY
Meyers sent this baby to me as a Delaware hen. She's the biggest of my 12 mixed flock. Her legs are thicker than the others, but I guess if you are big, you'd need big legs lol. Now at 4 1/2 weeks, she's developing pink around where her wattles will be, and her crest area is starting to pinken up also. None of my other girls are developing pink in their crests, but my BR rooster is already quite red in the crest. I don't have another Delaware to compare her growth to. I took probably 30 pics, but she's a fast little sucker, so I am including one full-body shot, and one of her face area.
22660_chickens_057.jpg

22660_chickens_068.jpg

So is there a way to tell at almost 5 weeks if she's a boy or a girl?

The pics are pretty bad, so hard to say. It sort of looks girly to me, but that's not my final answer, LOL. I have some pullets with thick legs, so that may not be the best indication. If you do a search of my posts, you'll find Delaware sexing tips and pictures.
smile.png
Here's a thread for you that starts with 5 week old pics of my crew:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=155965

Thank you all so much. While I realize that she may turn out male, it's good to have the reassurance that she is likely to be female. Her being bigger than my other large breed girls was really starting to worry me. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom