Delaware or Australorp Hen x Speckled Sussex Rooster

Ridgerunner

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
Could I ask favor. Could someone please post pictures or describe what I could expect in the first generation of a Australorp hen crossed with a Speckled Sussex rooster. Information on chicks would be nice but I am really after what the adult hen or rooster would look like.

Same thing for a Delaware hen crossed with a Speckeld Sussex rooster. Also, would this cross possibly be sex linked in the first generation?

I understand the speckles are a recessive gene and I would not expect to see that expressed until the following generation. These are hatchery birds so I would not expect them to breed 100% true, but I'd like to have an idea of what I might expect. TIA.

I don't know if I can help you much but I would think the BA X SS would be solid black, maybe with some leakage, you may see some mottleing in young bird but it would molt out.

When I crossed and SS roo with a BR, they chicks weren't really sexlinked like most sexlinks but the roos did end up dark barred, but as chicks, they didn't really have a headspot. And with the pullets some came out like a normal sexlink, black with golden hackles and the others were black with mottled breasts that molted out like I said earlier. I don't know if you would get the same thing with the Delaware hen, I'm not sure how the barred gene works in them, you may end up with some type of red sexlink though.

Back
Top Bottom