Delawares from kathyinmo

This first cockeral is an F'5 and has been my great hope. He is the youngest of all my f'5's and was the only broody raised Del. I think I am about to give up on him, it is that darn right wing. It will not fold up properly and this may sound odd but the feathers seem to be almost too wide and I count more than 10 primaries, 1 axial and 10 secondaries. They are still in different growth rates so I know the feathering is not completed quite yet. Love all else about this youngster, he is wide, chunky, lighter in colour. What do you guys think, I am thinking cull?

He's got nice color, or an improvement in color from the F4s. Looks like his tail has a good angle. The wings are bad, not only the feathers but they are held low. He's wide & chunky but needs more lower breast. Nice leg color. Are his legs crooked or is it the photo?

Mr. Fatty is really enjoying his new job ... he's in charge of all the female Delawares while PapaDel is off on assignment. The females seem smitten. Will be moving some of his charges into the egg coop soon. Maybe tonight. We are having lovely weather and it would be good to do it when the layers can get out and range instead of stay inside and pick at each other.

This is the only one of the 6 older F'5's that I think may be breedworthy. He is darker than I like but the darker tail may help with getting the correct coloured tail on the F'6 pullets. He is very wide and stout but shorter than all the others. The other 5 have all ended up with squirrel tails, I swear, overnight they just all went upright :(

This guy is better than the first one. Better wing feathers and they are held more level. I like the lighter color on the other, but you know better what you need to balance out the female color. This one has a better breast than the other, too.
Isn't that strange about the squirrel tails?! Several of mine did that, also.

I love how these hens still look like pullets, they will be 2 years old in April. Have heard that is a desireable trait.

The four F'5 pullets that I will be using PapaDel over as well. Colour issues for sure but am liking/size type. Have one other i may use but she is one of the type with the bulging keel up front. She is very large, has a great open tail and the best colouring of all of the 5 I culled down to. Just don't like her balance but am keeping her in reserve.

Very, very nice!!! I love the rounded breasts on your hens & pullets. You are going to do well this year.

The four F'5 pullets that I will be using PapaDel over as well. Colour issues for sure but am liking/size type. Have one other i may use but she is one of the type with the bulging keel up front. She is very large, has a great open tail and the best colouring of all of the 5 I culled down to. Just don't like her balance but am keeping her in reserve.

I think PapaDel will like them gals- Gee this guy gets around he must have charisma - and some good lines too!

Thank you all for the feedback!!! The first cockeral will be culled. What I will say about him and these birds in general, at a certain age, you get a pretty good glimpse at how they will look in adulthood. He looked like this round little beachball for quite some time and then went through this super ugly stage which he has just come out of. I was embarassed to post pics of him a month ago and tell you all he was my great hope, figured you would think I lost my marbles! Am willing to bet he will fill out a great amount in the next two months, he is 2 - 3 mos. younger than the other one. They take a long time to mature, am sure I made some wrong culling choices early but thankfull I have ended up with one to breed forward. The one i will use for breeding does not have a crooked foot, just a wierd moment in the pic.

My hens put their stamp on their pullets. I can look at each pullet and tell you who was Mom without looking at any records. That is pretty cool!

Both Leslie's Roosters, PapaDel and Mr. Fatty are going to become famous, I just know it :) Maybe I should start naming mine too........

Hoping to collect eggs for hatching soon but since i brought PapaDel home, only one egg from the hen pen and none from the pullet pen. I will be setting every egg they give me till Leslie needs him back!.

I think you will be getting a really nice cockeral Kim. Hopefully he will bring to your hens the things that are needed.

CPTMorgan, thank you for the compliment! Kathy gave us a great start with the F'4 chicks, we just have to keep breeding them forward as best as we all can.

Back
Top Bottom