Delawares from kathyinmo

Would having a male in the pen help stimulate laying for pullets that may have stopped laying because they were relocated.

I have found anytime we make a switch/change they take time to get going in the new routine. They have to re establish pecking order etc.
just need time to get back in the swing - Add a Cock I don't know that may be more to get use to . But I don't think it will take longer .

Ok so since they have not started from the last move it might be best to move them again in with the cockerel and just wait.

I have to take my girls to the farm because that's where the guy is (no guys in town) maybe I can do that next week.

Ok so since they have not started from the last move it might be best to move them again in with the cockerel and just wait.

I have to take my girls to the farm because that's where the guy is (no guys in town) maybe I can do that next week.
Yes, just get them set up exactly how they need to be for your breeding set up then you just have to wait. When not breeding, mine all free-range with several Cocks so I need to wait before setting eggs anyways to ensure the Dad I want is the Dad.

I think where you pick up the chest size is the set back of legs from side view. Go back and look at Zannas blacktail that has good chest and some of the other that are not as favorable.
The legs are set back more because maybe chest protrudes. Same with the Shilling view.

I think some of this is also sometimes posture related.

So it's this guy from my flock with a well-curved chest and wide legs, but a narrower tail ... He often rests in a position so his chest looks really full.

While far from being a perfect bird, he seems to have a similar balance of chest area to fluff/tail area as the Schilling illustration, with a curve from his chin right to between his legs.

Mr. Fatty is pretty curvy up front, but is also pretty curvy behind, which is maybe not so proper for the breed ... the back half of the Schilling bird is not very full.

I think some of this is also sometimes posture related.

So it's this guy from my flock with a well-curved chest and wide legs, but a narrower tail ... He often rests in a position so his chest looks really full.

While far from being a perfect bird, he seems to have a similar balance of chest area to fluff/tail area as the Schilling illustration, with a curve from his chin right to between his legs.

Mr. Fatty is pretty curvy up front, but is also pretty curvy behind, which is maybe not so proper for the breed ... the back half of the Schilling bird is not very full.

-
Mr fatty doesn't look as fat LOL - not bad for where we are- Schilling is proportionately shorter in length comparison to width between back line and breast - back starts up at bottom of neck.

Me. Fatty is a different bird ... he's the one you (finnfur) picked out for me! Then Zanna spotted him right away when she came here to help me sort cockerels. Mr. Fatty is the one that's currently in with the females. You can see in this photo of Mr. Fatty how round he can be. Like a Wyandotte with a bigger tail.

MR. FATTY

Last edited:
- Mr fatty doesn't look as fat LOL - not bad for where we are- Schilling is proportionately shorter in length comparison to width between back line and breast - back starts up at bottom of neck.
That's the one I was calling Big'un until I put him back in the Cockerel Coop with a couple other potential breeders. Better color than Mr. Fatty.

Last edited:
Me. Fatty is a different bird ... he's the one you (finnfur) picked out for me! Then Zanna spotted him right away when she came here to help me sort cockerels. Mr. Fatty is the one that's currently in with the females. You can see in this photo of Mr. Fatty how round he can be. Like a Wyandotte with a bigger tail.

MR. FATTY

Whoops wrong chicken - no doubt Fatty is chunky - so many chickens I can't keep them straight -I agree with my first opinion then- Zanna and I agree ? Then he's got to be top gun. I'll trade you 5 dozen eggs for him ?
Where are you from and how much

everyone has there location in the side bar - so where you are ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom