Delawares

Hi! This is my first post! This is my fourth time raising chicks. I purchased six Delaware pullets from a local feed store. They are approximately 5-6 weeks old and I am only certain that I truly have one hen. She is in the bottom left corner of the third photo and significantly smaller and more docile than the others. Any thoughts on these chicks, as to too or hen? Thank you!

@graychix

Looks like a little lady! I have since read that males have barred tale feathers and females have the solid black (as yours does).

Here are a few of my Delawares checking out their run after a big rain. They are sometimes more aggressive, or maybe just more sure of themselves, than my Americauna, EEs, and BAs. A Del rooster I had once before was particularly aggressive, and even tried to kill a dominant BA hen. Because I regularly hold down my roos from the time they are young I'm sure was the only reason he behaved around me. But another roo, Prince Valiant, is very gentlemanly to his hens. My Delawares have a wide range of personalities, and I think the breed is so beautiful!

Can someone please tell me if I have A Delaware... I got a few Mystery chicks.. and from looking at online pics.. I was thinking that this might be the breed.

THanks so much... BTW He or she is 14 weeks old Sunday.

I ordered a group of New Hampshires and Delawares from Ideal this year, 6 each pullets and one NH cockerel. I've never had Delawares before, but I'm starting to think one of these girls is a guy. Does this breed start developing a taller, pinker comb at 5 weeks?

None of the other chicks have such a noticeable comb. Whereas, the NH - he's glaringly obvious. The girls still have nothing in comb development!

NickyPick,
It does look that way, but I am not an expert. the only way I can tell the difference is when they are a day or two old by looking at their wing feathers. After that, I would have to wait until the more obvious signs develop when they are mature. But, looking at that cute little chick with the large comb and it being so very different from the others, I would bet it is a rooster. My Delaware has a large comb and is a beautiful strong hen, so I never trust the comb as a way to determine sex. Are you going to keep your chick if it is a rooster? I know that was always a fear of mine. We aren't allowed to have roosters in my town and I get so attached that I would have a terrible time if one of mine ever turned out to be a rooster!

The New Hampshire cockerel was planned, but the Delaware chicks are supposed to all be girls. These guys (and girls) will be merged with the main flock when they're older and there's 2 EE roosters over there. Should total about 50 hens, so I think that number can handle 4 roosters. I'll just have to wait to see what problems arise. My 5th, or actually, my first rooster, Mr. Feathers got beat up by his son, so he's staying in the little coop being a babysitter. He's great with the little chicks and actually will teach a young pullet how to use the nest box. It's really cute. He's 5 years old now, so hopefully he'll still be around a long time. My nephew has already decided that the NH cockerel will be named Al Capone and we're thinking this little Delaware chick, if it does turn out to be a boy, will be Colonel Sanders. :)

I was sad when I heard your favorelles were aggressive. I have a salmon favorelle that is one of the gentlest in my flock. I got her because I read they were gentle and usually at the bottom of the pecking order. She isn't at the bottom because they all like her. She doesn't bother a single one and they all like to sleep next to her on the perch. I pet her back and she always likes to hang around me when she is out in the yard. I hope you have a chance to find a gentle one in your group.

Back
Top Bottom