Deleterious alleles in Charcoal Peafowl /absorbtion of methionine

I have (2) charcoal hens 2008 hatch. Lily is a blackshoulder; Charro is a white-eye. "KC" is a late 2011 hatch charcoal but I'm not certain of her heritage. Can get this info if you consider it important. Because I'm not a breeder, the charcoal hens are ideal for me. My birds are pets.

Charro is out of a WE charcoal/blackshoulder male and a blue/white charcoal hen.
Lily is out of a blue/blackshoulder + charcoal male and a blue blackshoulder + charcoal hen.

Neither of the older hens have laid. They have free access to oyster shell year-round and receive cat chow treats twice per week. They are penned on alternate years with an IB male or a white male (depending on which male will be "tortured" that year, as the charcoal hens are very late to mate and don't seem to care much about it).

I have (2) charcoal hens 2008 hatch. Lily is a blackshoulder; Charro is a white-eye. "KC" is a late 2011 hatch charcoal but I'm not certain of her heritage. Can get this info if you consider it important. Because I'm not a breeder, the charcoal hens are ideal for me. My birds are pets.

Charro is out of a WE charcoal/blackshoulder male and a blue/white charcoal hen.
Lily is out of a blue/blackshoulder + charcoal male and a blue blackshoulder + charcoal hen.

Neither of the older hens have laid. They have free access to oyster shell year-round and receive cat chow treats twice per week. They are penned on alternate years with an IB male or a white male (depending on which male will be "tortured" that year, as the charcoal hens are very late to mate and don't seem to care much about it).

That's precisely the stock we're looking for in this study.

Perhaps your hens will be the first birds to successfully reproduce this year and as such, the first birds listed in the Charcoal Registry!
If you are interested in participating in this study please write me a private message with your mailing address.

Unfortunately, green outcrosses are a different issue altogether. There are factors at work there we can't pinpoint with accuracy. The genome of a given hybrid is not mapped as any species of green peafowl may be in a specific lineage but not another. We can work with the cristatus mutation because that much more is known with certainty about its genetic markers.
Even if Sri Lanka peafowl are included in the bloodline that may throw us off but the majority of charcoals have a shred ancestry with very few founders and the mutation itself is a known entity.
With hybrids with other species the genes were are attempting to turn on may require additional tweaking. So much unknown there- too many factors at work there -

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom