Denegard?!

SRC87

Chirping
Jul 31, 2017
I have a few sneezing/gurgling chickens... I asked a breeder around me and she said Denegard. I ordered some and I’ve been reading online-does this medication make it so I can never eat my hens eggs again?!? One place says you can eat them during the dosages and I’ve also seen that the eggs will be unconsumable for the lifetime of the chicken?!?

Thanks for any help!

Denagard is only going to work if your chickens have mycoplasma. If it's any of the other respiratory diseases, you'll want a different antibiotic. Some of them are viral, so in those cases you'd want no antibiotics at all.

If I were you, I'd do testing to see what it was I was trying to treat.

Did the breeder also let you know that if your birds do have one of these diseases, they will be carrying it for life and will have flare ups whenever they get stressed and need to be treated again? And that you should never sell or give away birds so that you don't pass the disease on to other flocks?

Denagard has no egg withdrawal period. It has a 3 day slaughter withdrawal period.
Pyxis is correct. Denagard treats only mycoplasma diseases; MG,MS,MM.
You will have to maintain a closed flock no matter what disease your birds have.
Your other option is to cull the sick birds, disinfect everything with oxine, and repopulate in about 6-8 months depending on what disease the birds have.
If it's a mycoplasma disease, you can repopulate in one week after disinfecting everything. Then it would be best to order chicks from a reputable hatchery.

Last edited:
Denagard is only going to work if your chickens have mycoplasma. If it's any of the other respiratory diseases, you'll want a different antibiotic. Some of them are viral, so in those cases you'd want no antibiotics at all.

If I were you, I'd do testing to see what it was I was trying to treat.

Did the breeder also let you know that if your birds do have one of these diseases, they will be carrying it for life and will have flare ups whenever they get stressed and need to be treated again? And that you should never sell or give away birds so that you don't pass the disease on to other flocks?

They are a small 7 hen backyard flock that I go above and beyond for. They are seriously spoiled. There are no avian vets anywhere in my area.

I raised most of them from chicks that were vaccinated as babies. And I’ve added a few others in so it could have come from one of them.

I don’t breed or sell my hens. They are with me for life and if I hatch babies, they also stay with me. So I am not concerned about passing it to others.

Denagard has no egg withdrawal period. It has a 3 day slaughter withdrawal period.
Pyxis is correct. Denagard treats only mycoplasma diseases; MG,MS,MM.
You will have to maintain a closed flock no matter what disease your birds have.
Your other option is to cull the sick birds, disinfect everything with oxine, and repopulate in about 6-8 months depending on what disease the birds have.
If it's a mycoplasma disease, you can repopulate in one week after disinfecting everything. Then it would be best to order chicks from a reputable hatchery.

Future, if I continue with chickens, I will be sure to only order from online hatcheries. I will not cull... nor will I sell them. They are the only “pets” I have and I spend a lot of time and energy on them. So the fact that they have fallen with the sneezes is incredibily frustrating for me.

Denagard does not seem that it will hurt them, so it is worth a try to me. I can not specially tell exactly what they have. There are NO other issues besides they are sneezing and have a rattle in their breath from time to time. So I will just go for the denagard and see. We do not have an avian vet anywhere in my area. So it’s on me to try to figure it out!

Future, if I continue with chickens, I will be sure to only order from online hatcheries. I will not cull... nor will I sell them. They are the only “pets” I have and I spend a lot of time and energy on them. So the fact that they have fallen with the sneezes is incredibily frustrating for me.

Denagard does not seem that it will hurt them, so it is worth a try to me. I can not specially tell exactly what they have. There are NO other issues besides they are sneezing and have a rattle in their breath from time to time. So I will just go for the denagard and see. We do not have an avian vet anywhere in my area. So it’s on me to try to figure it out!

Zoologix will run a full respiratory panel on them if you send them three throat swabs, no vet needed. Then at least you would know what you are dealing with and what you should buy to treat it.

I have a few sneezing/gurgling chickens... I asked a breeder around me and she said Denegard. I ordered some and I’ve been reading online-does this medication make it so I can never eat my hens eggs again?!? One place says you can eat them during the dosages and I’ve also seen that the eggs will be unconsumable for the lifetime of the chicken?!?

Thanks for any help!
In the USA, Denagard is not approved for use in poultry but it is approved in the UK. For me, if it's approved in the UK, that's good enough for me. :D
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/contents/novartis/novartis_poultry1.pdf

I did see that, but honestly... if it is something that helps them and it does not effect their eggs, and I do not sell my chickens for meat or even their eggs for that matter then I do not see why I can't give it a try!!

I did see that, but honestly... if it is something that helps them and it does not effect their eggs, and I do not sell my chickens for meat or even their eggs for that matter then I do not see why I can't give it a try!!
Lots of people, even vets on this forum use it. ;)

I know this is an old thread....but you sound like me. Spoiled chickens. small flock. Occasionally Sneezing...on and off......no vets. Actually we have a vet about an hour away, and it’s $200 to walk in the door.... Long story short,..last chicken vet bill was $900 ++ (2 vets) and she still passed away because they didn’t have a clue.
wondering if you used denegard ? I just ordered it.
I have read that some people use it as a monthly preventative.

Back
Top Bottom