Dented egg day 17

A beak poked through last night after dinner. It peeped a little last night. It’s still in the same position, but looks like it’s panting.

Attachments

• IMG_3230.jpeg
    IMG_3230.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 11
Also, this incubator is one a friend got at an auction. The shelves had big holes in them, so I put a plastic mesh canvas over. A chick would totally fall through if I didn’t. Well now that I’m up close staring at pipping chicks, I can see a gap from the shelf to the glass of the door, where a chick could fall down through. I’m afraid to open the door to add more mesh with 3 chicks pipping. I have to leave for church soon, and I’m worried they are going to fall to their doom while I am gone. Advice?
Any advice on the shelf? Should I open the door with 3 pipping and put more of the mesh to keep them from falling? I’m nervous to open the door and drop humidity, but I don’t want them to fall either.

Any advice on the shelf? Should I open the door with 3 pipping and put more of the mesh to keep them from falling? I’m nervous to open the door and drop humidity, but I don’t want them to fall either.
Its always best to lay down shelf liner at lockdown so you don't have to worry about them getting splay leg at hatch. Is the floor really slick? I think at this point you shouldn't open the lid. If by chance they all hatch close together, you can deal with this after they hatch out. They should be dry however before you permanently remove them from the machine so they don't chill. Keep us posted!

Its always best to lay down shelf liner at lockdown so you don't have to worry about them getting splay leg on hatch. Is the floor really slick? I think at this point you shouldn't open the lid. If by chance they all hatch close together, you can deal with this after they hatch out. They should be dry however before you permanently remove them from the machine so they don't chill. Keep us posted!
It’s not that I’m worried about them slipping, there’s a gap I didn’t see between the shelf and the bottom. It’s a 2 shelf incubator, so they could fall between the shelf and the door, down to the bottom

It’s not that I’m worried about them slipping, there’s a gap I didn’t see between the shelf and the bottom. It’s a 2 shelf incubator, so they could fall between the shelf and the door, down to the bottom
If you are super quick, get something you can very quickly stuff down in there, don't fuss around with it. Then mist the eggs and inside machine with warm water.

Also, this incubator is one a friend got at an auction. The shelves had big holes in them, so I put a plastic mesh canvas over. A chick would totally fall through if I didn’t. Well now that I’m up close staring at pipping chicks, I can see a gap from the shelf to the glass of the door, where a chick could fall down through. I’m afraid to open the door to add more mesh with 3 chicks pipping. I have to leave for church soon, and I’m worried they are going to fall to their doom while I am gone. Advice?
Make a plan before opening, then fix it. It probably changes the game a bit with the one egg being so cracked, in terms of having the lid open (ie you want to move a bit quicker) but you'll have a few minutes to open and repair the hole.

Make a plan before opening, then fix it. It probably changes the game a bit with the one egg being so cracked, in terms of having the lid open (ie you want to move a bit quicker) but you'll have a few minutes to open and repair the hole.
Okay. First pip chick is still in the same place with the same size hole. It seems to go in and try, but then stick its beak back in the same spot to rest. It’s been 24 hours now. But again, I’m nervous about opening the incubator

Back
Top Bottom