Hollymay

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Hi! I have a mallard duck who’s sibling recently went missing. We believe she was taken by a bird of prey. They were very close so he’s obviously upset. He started swimming around the pond, we thought he might’ve been looking for her but he wouldnt stop, not even to eat. Eventually we got him out but now he can’t stand or walk. I’ve kept him in the house with me to keep an eye on him and he’s started eating and drinking again, seems completely fine but just can’t stand. I’ve put him in the bath and he’s swimming fine, so his legs are still moving and working, I just don’t know what to do. Thanks! (We have 5 other ducks but he isn’t interested in any of them)

Attachments

• 5871E05F-22E9-4B6D-8EF0-82246B2E3C5D.jpeg
    5871E05F-22E9-4B6D-8EF0-82246B2E3C5D.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I would get him a new friend ASAP. Give him some electrolytes or nutridrench too. Is he otherwise healthy? Let him take baths if he likes them
We have 5 other ducks but he doesn’t seem to really care for them. Do you think he would benefit from some new ones? I’ll get what you recommended today, thank you! He’s completely healthy otherwise and I take him for baths regularly. Thanks heaps!

You're welcome. I'm not sure if a new duck would help, but who doesn't love an excuse for a new duck? 😂 Maybe he would take to a young female if you kept them together for a while. Electrolytes like Sav-A-Chick are great for times of stress and so is Poultry Nutridrench. I hope your drake feels better soon.

Hes realy cute!

Did he lose noticable weight?
What do you feed them?
have to checked him closely for ticks or wounds?
Do his joints feel swollen or hot?

And could you get a picture of the bottom of his feet and a picture of what his poop looks like?

Sorry for all the questions but i know what its like to have sick pet and its awefull!

Welcome to BYC, sorry your duck is sick. Is a vet an option? If not...

Do you have a food scale that you can weigh him on? It's possible that he's weak from not eating, so it would be a good idea to get a baseline weight on him, then weigh him every morning.

Hes realy cute!

What do you feed them?

And could you get a picture of the bottom of his feet and a picture of what his poop looks like?

Sorry for all the questions but i know what its like to have sick pet and its awefull!
He’s the same weight, eating as usual: duck seed and grain mix
Hes realy cute!

What do you feed them?

I feed the ducks peas and a duck grain and seed mix. He looks completely normal, no weight loss, bugs, bites, wounds or funny joints. Sorry I couldn’t get a picture of the bottom of his feet as I’m by myself but they look like usual.
No worries at all, thanks so much for answering!

Attachments

• 8E626A4A-420B-4A1C-8E4B-21A0EF07B675.jpeg
    8E626A4A-420B-4A1C-8E4B-21A0EF07B675.jpeg
    868 KB · Views: 4
  • FA18D702-7CF3-4D04-9885-AC776228DFC8.jpeg
    FA18D702-7CF3-4D04-9885-AC776228DFC8.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC, sorry your duck is sick. Is a vet an option? If not...

Do you have a food scale that you can weigh him on? It's possible that he's weak from not eating, so it would be a good idea to get a baseline weight on him, then weigh him every morning.
We’re going to the vets tomorrow and he’s eating as usual now but I’ll keep that in mind thank you!

Back
Top Bottom