Depression Era Quilt Block Swap----- Sign-up now CLOSED

Just finished cutting for lights!! Going to cut for darks tomorrow
smile.png

Quote:
Great job Toi!!!! Once you get all the cutting and marking done.....you'll speed right on along.

Once I get 34 more little squares together and marked all I have to do is sew the little squares together and I will be DONE!!!!

Thing is we still have 2 MORE spots left open!!!!!

Come on ladies of BYC...you quilters!!!!! I know your out there!!!! Come on in here and sign up!!!!! We only need 2 more.....just 2 more!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't know why but I'm really into this. I was surprised how fast they are going together. I can't wait until they are done and we get them back. They are going to be great.
thumbsup.gif

I have been cutting--some last night and some today. The minute I start cutting my toddler comes running over to get in the way! Doesn't matter what he is doing, he has ears that can hear the swoosh of the rotary cutter miles away! I think I am going to have to buy fabric. All of my fabric seems to be themed blue and cream! I have never done a blue or cream quilt, but I must be attracted to those colors.

I'm too late to sign up now, but can offer a little suggestions:
If you are making 12 blocks to trade out, all your 12 can be identical....this helps to make the cutting and sewing go faster.
You need 16 darks and 16 lights and you "quick stitch" 16 half triangle squares of each layer of a dark and a light. Then cut them apart.

Somewhere a while back I posted pictures to demonstrate the technique. I'll see if I can post those pictures again. It's similiar to the link that Ginbart showed a few posts back.

Ifound the directions from my post back when we did the blue and white star swap: I made the directions fit you present project:
A while back I said I would post an idea I had for a shortcut for cutting and sewing the 1/2 triangle blocks if I got it to work. Well.......IT WORKS!!
You can get 16 of the 3.5 inch 1/2 triangle blocks....easy peasy! and you need to do this with each dark/light set you make for a total of 16 pairings. I used my grid cutting mat and a roller cutter.
Here's what you do.
Layer your two fabrics (one light and one dark) right sides together, light fabric up and cut a 16 inch by 8 inch rectangle

Use your grid cutting mat to help with the next step. Use a quilt pencil or a #2 pencil and lightly draw on a 4 by 4 grid with the little square measuring 4 inches. 4 across and 2 down. Next draw in only one direction of diagonal lines. (I did mine from Upper left to lower right in each square.)
Pin your fabric between the diagonal lines.
(The photo shows a 16 x 16 square with pencil lines and stitchin on the dark side yours will be 16 x 8)
23941_100_4715.jpg

At your machine sew on either side of the diagonal lines with a scant 1/4 inch on each side. I sewed one side of the line and then turned the 16 inch fabric square and sewed the other side coming back. Your rectangle is 16 x 8. The opportunity to make longer seams helped me keep my seam lines straighter.
23941_100_4709.jpg

When finished with the sewing, take it back to your cutting mat and cut the grid lines into rows....each row with four squares. Using your pencil lines, cut the rows into the four squares and then cut the diagonal lines. ( I was able to cut all the squares without moving anything because my mat will "grip the fabric as it is cut.)
Voila...16 triangle squares to take to the ironing board.

You will have little threads across the 90 degree corner of the inside squares... As I ironed, I used the point of my seam ripper to flip out the little thread so I could pull it out.
You can trim to the 3.5 inch square... depending on how "scant" your 1/4 inch is

This is so much faster. Repeat this with of your dark/light pairings. Make 16 stacks of your finished squares. Take one square from each stack and arrange for your block. You will have 12 blocks when you are finished.

Sorry I didn't get this shortcut posted for those of you who have already cut your fabrics...but the shortcut will come in handy for later projects.

Last edited:
Quote:
I need to correct this.
YOU SHOULD DO A 12 X 8 INCH because we are only making 12 blocks. If you do the 16 X 8 you end up with 16 squares. Go ahead and ask me how I know
th.gif

We don't need 16 squares of the same color only 12.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom