Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

hi okiemommy...thanks for thr recipe..
smile.png
..that hamburg gravy sounds like what we call.."s**t on a shingle"..ever hear of it?...i love it!...i think the term is an old army one...used to be served in the army..(i think...thats what my father told me anyway..lol))...but over a piece of bread or toast<(hence the shingle part...).....we serve ours over mashed/whipped potatoes...um..now you got me craving it..
tongue.png
..havent made it in a while...lol..may be supper for sometime this week!...thanks, Wendy

Last edited:
hi okiemommy...thanks for thr recipe..smile..that hamburg gravy sounds like what we call.."s**t on a shingle"..ever hear of it?...i love it!...i think the term is an old army one...used to be served in the army..(i think...thats what my father told me anyway..lol))...but over a piece of bread or toast<(hence the shingle part...).....we serve ours over mashed/whipped potatoes...um..now you got me craving it..tongue..havent made it in a while...lol..may be supper for sometime this week!...thanks, Wendy

hahahahaha!! Now that you mention it.....I think I vaguely remember hearing my grandparents call it that!
gig.gif
gig.gif

in a hush hush sort of way...I was so little then. Thanks for the memories!! I sure do miss them
sad.png
They were good people
big_smile.png
They would be proud if they knew I was raising chickens for meat and eggs.​

hi okie...LOL..glad i helped you remember that!...and it is a great recipe!...yeah...i know what you mean about grandparents...i'm lucky right now..my me'me' is 94 and still going strong!!.. i bring her here all the time and she just sits outside and watches my chickens and goats..she loves it!...it reminds her of when they had a farm in vermont...
love.gif
..grandparents are the best way to learn so much valuable information!..i wish i had listened better as a child..thanks, Wendy..
smile.png

We grew up with Hamburger Gravy as well The only difference was we added green pepper chopped up and served it over mashed potatoes or rice. As for s@@@ on shingles We used dryed beef for that Grandmom used to say it was the basic army food.

Speaking of Depression reciepes My MIL who is 87 gave me a book a few weeks ago. Its called Blue Ribbon Cookbook the copyright on it is 1906. We had a ball going through this book. It has recipes for everything including making your own toothpaste from clay. Most of the ingredients are no longer available fromthe local grocer. You can certainly tell it was a mans world back then lol Its something i will keep forever.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1 egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 deg

Mix above ingredients and place rounded balls onto ungreased baking sheet. Press with tines of fork to make cross hatches and bake @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

I have a cookbook that is called "The Four Ingredient Cookbooks..." There are several of these books out and I would highly recommend everyone getting at least one of the books. Most of the recipes are simple and you use basic staple food items. One of the ingredients is usually a special one, or non-staple, like zucchini, sweet potatoes, spinach, salmon, beef, etc..., but for the most part most these recipes are pretty basic. Here's a recipe for a Butter Cake for instance:

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
-Mix ingredients. Place dough in greased and floured round cake pan. Bake at 375* for 30 minutes. Serve warm with fresh fruit.

Some of the recipes call for several "special" ingredients, but the best thing about this cookbook is that you only have to have 4 ingredients which is much more doable than 10 ingredients!
wink.png

Here's a cheap tasty meal...

Brown a pound of hamburger and add it to some cooked macaroni along with a can of diced tomatoes. I love it with lots of salt and pepper.

Quote:
I was looking for this recipe!!! Thank you! My friend's neighbor made some of these cookies, but she substituted the sugar for Splenda (low-carb) and they were WONDERFUL!

Thanks again!

Shelly

We grew up on hamburg gravy too, only we used venison burger. I make it with ground chicken too, very tasty. Here's two of my favorites from my great grandmother (I may have mentioned it before)

Creamed Eggs on Toast

4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
make a cream sauce using melted butter, milk and cornstarch, salt and pepper, add the eggs and serve over toast

Creamed Peas and Dumplings

Must use frozen peas, make the same cream sauce as above. Add peas, I make dumplings using the recipe on Bisquick but my grandmother makes from scratch. Drop small dumplings in the simmering sauce and peas, cover a few minutes till dumplings are done. Can also add cut up hot dogs.

Back
Top Bottom