Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

yep!..yum!...i want to make those soon..
big_smile.png

Tonight we had bean soup with cuban bread. The recipe is out of a book called the tightwad gazette. The bread is super easy and is done in an hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish. It is my husbands favorite bread I make. Cheap and EASY! It is not a super high rising (about 3 inches tall) bread but is hearty and filling.
Cuban Bread
5-6 cups of all purpose flour (I have subbed 1-2 cups of whole wheat successfully)
2 healthy tablespoons of yeast ( I use bulk yeast but I am sure quick rise would be fine)
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of salt (great with sea salt)
2 cups of hot water around 120*
1 tbsp of sesame or poppy seeds
Directions (this recipe starts with a cold oven so do not preheat)
mix 4 cups of flour with yeast, salt, sugar. Then pour the hot water over and beat 100 strokes or 3 minutes in kitchenaid. Stir in remaining flour until not sticky. Knead 8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with damp towel for about 15-20 minutes. Punch down and divide into two balls place on large cookie sheet and cut and x on top and sprinkle with seeds of choice (if not sticking use a little water). Place on middle rack and put a cake pan on the bottom rack that has been filled with warm water (thats what will produce the crisp crust) Turn the oven on to 400* and bake for 40-40 minutes until golden.

yum!!..i love bread recipes!..i'm just to chicken to usually try them...
hmm.png
...but that one sounds easy!..Thanks!..Wendy

heres a interesting oldie home cure....wonder if it works?...
idunno.gif
RECIPE FOR CHRONIC COUGH
One pint each of lemon juice, olive oil and extracted honey. One fresh egg. Put the lemon juice into a fruit jar or large-mouthed bottle. Wash egg and drop it unbroken into the lemon juice. In about 24 hours the shell of the egg will be dissolved. Then remove the tough inside skin being careful to leave every particle of the shell in the lemon juice. Beat all together. Warm it enough to mix well, and bottle. Keep in a cool place. Dose: a teaspoon frequently...
idunno.gif
...never know..kinda like todays lemon/honey cough drops?...

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW! When Dash & I were newlyweds (and POOR) those were a regular treat I'd bake to keep us happy. The recipe was a gift from one of the "little old ladies" at church who was 90+ if she was a day. She obviously remembered what it was like to be young like us.

chiknlady wrote:

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1 egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 deg

Mix above ingredients and place rounded balls onto ungreased baking sheet. Press with tines of fork to make cross hatches and bake @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

WOW! When Dash & I were newlyweds (and POOR) those were a regular treat I'd bake to keep us happy. The recipe was a gift from one of the "little old ladies" at church who was 90+ if she was a day. She obviously remembered what it was like to be young like us.

awww that's such an awesome story!

My mom makes Ham and bean soup and corn bread...I don't know how to make it, but I know that it is a recipe that her mother and her mother's mother made. I can get the recipe if anyone is interested. Apparently it is a staple here...

I know that you take a ham bone left over from an oven roasted ham and use that to make the soup, but that's about all I know. Don't know how to make cornbread either. I know. I know. I'm a disgrace to Oklahomans everywhere lol! Cornbread is part of our official state meal- yep we have a state meal
lau.gif
Fried okra is part of it too...along with chicken fried steak......I hate fried Okra, and up until recently hated cornbread....but I think it was my mother's cooking on the cornbread
tongue.png

LOVE me some chicken fried steak though
love.gif

Edited for clarification​

Last edited:
Okay Okiemommy.........from another OKIE...........try the fried okra again! You just might like it! C'mon.....fried green maters and okra.......ham and beans (dinner last night here...)and some good cornbread........
love.gif

There is hope....
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom