Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

Our husbands sound like they are twins!

Another thing my family used to have a lot of was City Fried Chicken. I'm not sure if it's depression era or not and I have no idea what it was made out of, but it wasn't chicken, lol. I can't find the recipe either in my grandma's stuff. I want to say veal, back when veal wasn't expensive because everyone ate it, but I really don't know.

Yeah, my mother married my husband's father...we introduced them at my husband's high school graduation. The funny part was he had 3 of his wives sitting at the same table that night - my husband's mother, his recent ex-wife and my mother lol He asked her out right in front of us and they were engaged 3 weeks later. They've been married 25 years, us 20 years. It totally confuses my children so they have just given up trying to figure it out, lol. The only thing they tell people is that their mother married her step-brother!

ROTFL!!!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Yeah I have thought about buying that book that tells you how to sneak the veggies into the food
roll.png
tongue.png

For those of you who lived in Monterey did you ever eat at Pizza my way (best I have ever had and I have lived in a LOT of places!) or Bubba Gumps (bucket of boat trash) or our favorite of one of the seafood vendors (I think legal seafood) that sold the clam chowder in the sourdough bowls??? Oh you brought back memories of our favorite place we have ever lived. We were there for 18 months also.

Anyhow that place is the farthest place from depression era recipes as you can get, talk about loaded people.

Never ate at Pizza My Way...I asked my husband and neither one of us has heard of it...what street was it on? We just might've missed it. Never got a chance to eat at Bubba Gumps, we assumed since it was a seafood place we wouldn't be able to afford it, because the only seafood place we had here at the time was Red Lobster, and that was out of our price range for an E-3 with a brand new family
big_smile.png
BUT we did eat the sour dough bowl full of clam chowder!!! YUUUUMMMM!!!
love.gif

http://www.pizza-myway.com/
We
found it by chance when looking for a highly recommended bbq restaurant out in Pacific Grove.
Yes, it was expensive and an occasional treat but sooooooooooo worth it!
Bubba's was when family was visiting, they loved the novelty.
I worked in a store on cannery row just to enjoy the atmosphere. We would really like to be there again.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, just the flowers - pop them off like you do when ya say "mama had a baby and it's head popped off", LOL ya want to get rid of any stem that sticks on - just the green and yellow heads.

They are best in the spring when they first come out - I used to sit and watch the yard for signs of dandelions - hubby thought they were horrible weeds - the scourge of his lawn, I was waiting with my collander to gather them and rinse em to cook
lol.png

Peace -
Meri

Quote:
Mmmm those sound good! They sound like the zucchini blossoms we ate while living in Italy. They are fixed the same way, minus the ranch dressing.

LOL Great way to keep from having too many zucchini, too!
smile.png

Peace -
Meri

http://www.pizza-myway.com/
We
found it by chance when looking for a highly recommended bbq restaurant out in Pacific Grove.
Yes, it was expensive and an occasional treat but sooooooooooo worth it!
Bubba's was when family was visiting, they loved the novelty.
I worked in a store on cannery row just to enjoy the atmosphere. We would really like to be there again.

It sound like a great place to get pizza. Some day I would like to try some authentic New York and Chicago style pizza..YUM!

We would like to go there again to visit. I want to take the kids to see the Monterey Bay Aquarium. My oldest has been, but not since he was 18 months old. I suppose that doesn't really count lol cause he probably doesn't remember it. I love the victorians they have there too. We toured them at Christmas time and it was really amazing.

I have to try and think of another recipe. I'm sure there are more...​

Well........there is always the basics.........

Tuna Noo-Noo Casserole.....

1 can tuna - drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can full of milk (from cream of mushroom soup)
large pinch of dill
small pinch of dried mustard
tiny pinch of celery seed

mix all together and layer with egg noodles (either store bought or homemade)

cook at 325 until "noo-noo's" are soft and everything is bubbly.....

Wow, how Depression-era recipes turned into monterey memoirs is beyond me! I live in Monterey now. Prunedale actually, since I do not like the fog and we have some elbow room out here (and can have chickens
wink.png
). It is amazing how little this plave has changed since we were staitoend here the first time in the mid-90's. You would have no problem recognizing it and getting around!

We grew up on WWll food and Depresion food.
Hear was my Dad's favorite-If you like gunky creamy this is great. And it has EGGS! You can sub chicken or shrimp for ham.

Creamed Ham

2 1/2-3 cups milk
1/2 stick butter or margarine
3 T flour
3 chopped hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup peas (frozen thawed or fresh)
1 1/2 cup cubed ham
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs chopped parsley or scallions
a few dashes of hot sauce (opt.)
shredded cheddar cheese (opt.)
salt & pepper to taste

Melt butter ina a medium saucepan; add flour cooking over medium heat until flour is golden. Whisk in milk stirring constantly. Add all other ingredients except cheese and heat through until bubbly. Serve over toast (rice, noodles or potatoes) Top with cheese if desired.

Back
Top Bottom