Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

banter..sounds pretty good!..i'll have to give it a try!..
chicknmama..so you can use the green..(un-opened) heads also?..thanks, Wendy

I made candied dandelion flowers this last spring.

I don't remember the exact recipe..But it was something like 1 cup of sugar, 1 ts cayenne, 2 ts ginger, and 1 tb paprika..It could be modified to taste tho..

Dip the flower heads in slightly whipped egg white mixed with a bit of water (thats the glue)

Set on paper towel so they arent drippy when you put them in the sugar mixture.

Lay out individually on a cookie sheet.

Dry in the oven on low heat or in a dehydrator.

Since dandelions are bitter to begin with..The sugar and spice makes them more palatable
wink.png

From what I understand dandelion is good for detoxing the liver..

Always try to gather your flowers/roots/leaves away from where cars travel
(and any neighbors that like to poison their yard with weed killers and stuff) as they absorb the gunk in the air and water.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wendy I had that starter but went away to visit my son at Fort Benning this spring and messed up the mix and it died on me and now wish I had some...do you have a recipe to start the starter...or is it like sour dough where you need a cup of starter to keep it going??????
Pam

We grew up taking meat salad sandwiches to school made out of leftover meat from the night before. Roast and mayo, pork chops and mayo, ham with mayo and sweet relish. Chicken with mayo celery and onion or with eggs and sweet relish. And then there was alway tuna slad with either mayo, sweet pickles and boiled eggs or clery and onions. Same as the chicken salad.

For dinner a nice ripe tomato with chicken or tuna salad.

I'm a born and bred California girl. My grandmother was raised in Missouri though, and she taught my mom how to cook. I think a lot of the things my mom cooked for us had Missouri roots...

My mom grew up in the depression. They had a traditional New Year's Day meat pie. We usually do it at our house now, too, though it isn't the bargain it used to be back then.

2 lbs ground beef
soy sauce

top and bottom pie crust (I always make my own and for this recipe and add some savory herbs for a color splash and nice flavor)

Brown the ground beef. Add soy sauce for flavoring. Pour off fat and put meat in prepared pie crust. Top with the other crust, slitting for steam to escape.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. (It'll be browned and bubbly when done)

Serve with boiled red potatoes and a medium white sauce with green onions - make lots of white sauce to pour all over the pie and potatoes.

It's really, really good. Very rich, and probably not the best way to start a New Year's weight loss resolution !
lol.png

Quote:
Wendy I had that starter but went away to visit my son at Fort Benning this spring and messed up the mix and it died on me and now wish I had some...do you have a recipe to start the starter...or is it like sour dough where you need a cup of starter to keep it going??????
Pam

I was online recently looking for sourdough starter recipes and remember seeing ones for Amish friendship bread. Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.momswhothink.com/bread-recipes/amish-friendship-bread.html

hi momofdrew and suburban farm girl..
i think the link that suburban has so nicely sent is the correct one....it sounds correct....i cant wait to start it again!. espically with the holidays coming up..
smile.png
..thanks suburban!...Wendy

Here's a great link to Amish Friendship Bread. I was given a starter but came across this site researching MIL's suggestion you can do way more than what the recipe calls for. She was right, there are MANY variations on the bread itself as well as waffle & pancake recipes.

http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

Quote:
Suburban and Wendy
Thank you
I cannot tell you how much I appreciat this... my family loved that bread and the many ways I would vary it...

kbarrett
Thanks also
this has so many variations I could be baking for ever and not make the same thing twice

My son is breathing down my neck to get it started today so we can have the bread in 10 days...it will also make great Christmas presents...
Pam

Back
Top Bottom