Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

Quote:
Suburban and Wendy
Thank you
I cannot tell you how much I appreciat this... my family loved that bread and the many ways I would vary it...

kbarrett
Thanks also
this has so many variations I could be baking for ever and not make the same thing twice

My son is breathing down my neck to get it started today so we can have the bread in 10 days...it will also make great Christmas presents...
Pam

I wasn't planning to, but with all these comments about how good it is - and now many options for using the starter - I think I may get my own friendship bread starter going !
tongue.png

it really is good!...i love all the differant ways you can make it also....banana with choc. chips is a good one!..also..i used lemon pudding and added fresh blueberries(coated with sugar) and that was REAL good!..yeah..lol...i think i'm gonna start a new batch also!..
tongue.png

i also have a recipe where you can make the bread taste like ginger-bread for the holidays!...it sounds yummy also!..i'll try to find and post it...

Did you know you can put violet leaves in your salad...and the flower also...they are high in vitamin C...I pick them in early spring wash them well and cut up and mix with other greens Pam

Quote:
White sauce is not great for diets but yummy all the same...I have a collesteral problem but I would love to try this recipe...how much soy sauce???

I was really lazy when I posted last night
tongue.png
Here is the 'official' recipe (I realize now I left out the ground pork when I shared it last night. If I can't find ground pork I either don't use it, or put a few pork chops through my food processor.)

New Year’s Day Pie

Lightly cook but do not brown:
2 lbs. ground beef
½ lb. ground pork

Pour off excess fat. While pan is still hot add:
1 Tablespoon soy sauce

Make double pie crust (the below recipe has never failed me)
Place half the pie crust in glass pan
Add:
Meat and juices
Sprinkle with flour
Cover with top half of crust – slit to let steam escape
Bake at 325 – 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly and crusts are golden brown.

Serve topped with onion gravy:
Chop 3-5 scallions
Wilt them in butter or extra meat juices
(chopped parsley can also be added)
Make a medium white sauce from this – I just use a recipe from my cookbook
Season to taste

Serve with boiled red potatoes.

*Pie crust for two-crust 8 or 9 inch pie
(from the Betty Crocker’s Cookbook)
Many people I know are scared of pie crusts. This is the first recipe I ever tried and it was simple and very successful. I love making pie !

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt (for this recipe it could be seasoned salt)
½ cup salad oil
You can also add savory herbs for this recipe, if you want
3 to 4 tablespoons cold water (I use ice water and let the icecubes sit in the water a few minutes before using.)

Measure flour and salt (and herbs, if used) into a bowl. Add oil; mix until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle in water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, mixing until flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl. Gather dough together. Press firmly into a ball. Cut ball in half. Roll out top and bottom crusts from the halves.

Let me know how you like it !

suburban girl..that sounds good!...
tongue.png

okay for the ginger bread (amish starter) recipe

you just follow directions through to day 10...and when you are making your bread you subsitute 2 Tb. molasses for equal parts sugar, add ginger bread spice........the only thing is it dosent say anything about the pudding though?..i wonder would you use the vanilla pudding like the origional recipe calls for?...or omit the pudding?....lol..sorry..real great recipe folks!...i dont even know what to do!...
lau.gif
...sorry..
hmm.png

My mother was born as the depression was ending. However being #7 of 15 kids on a farm cost effective & what you hand on-hand recipe's were a must! They had the gambit of farm animals and did their own butchering.
Unfortunately I never knew her parents as they had passed away before I was born. One recipe I can think of off the top of my head is any kind of rivel soup. My personal favorite is beef and she told me they used to make a pretzel rivel soup. Anyway you save your broth from whatever meat you made...chicken/ turkey/ beef roast. Hopefully you saved a bit of the meat
smile.png
. You strain the broth, if you have any veggies on hand you can toss them in and bring to a boil. Then you mix your rivels.
1 cup flour
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp milk
Mix with a fork as you're looking for the mixure to be crumbes. Sprinkle by hand into your broth and simmer 15 min or so. Salt & pepper to taste.

On my fathers' side he was the first of 6. I don't think they ever raised the variety of farm critters as mom's side did. As I was growing up they had sheep and horses. They owned several dairy farms that other families farmed so occasionaly there'd be heifers in the summer pasture.
But Grandma's garden was a thing of beauty. She had approx. 1/2 an acre of vegetable garden that she did till she was in her 60's. Over the years it shrank
smile.png
and now it's not back by the pond but very close to the house, but at 88 her garden this year was darned near as big as mine!
Grandma's thing is canning and soups. As she was born in 1920 and grandpa in 1914 they went through the great depression, the biggest impression they both gave me growing up was not to waste anything and not to be too picky. Since my grandma's been in the hospital DS & I have been staying back on the farm overnight 5 nights/ week. I've been pointing out to DS (5) how grandpa doesn't complain & eats what I fix him!!!
smile.png

thanks kbarret!...appreciate the recipe!...

AMISH HOMEMADE BOLOGNA

3 lbs hamburger
3 tb. Mortons tender quick
1 cup water
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke

Mix well. roll in 2 rolls. Wrap in plastic wrap; put in refrigerator 24 hours.

Put on greased pan. Bake 1 hour at 300 degrees, turning meat once halfway through baking time.

never had it..but it may cut down on cold meat costs...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom